Enfield question: to refinish or not to refinish?

iamkris

Well, earlier this year I got one of the first batches of Enfields that AIM Centerfire and others sold. Mine is a 1943 No 4 Mk 1/2 (e.g., has the Mk 2 mods made to the trigger group) with a micrometer sight. Unfortunately I had "Iwannagunvirus" and paid $139 instead of the $79 they are selling them for now. The good news is that the old war horse is mechanically sound -- bore looks like it was never fired. The bad news is, like others, she is caked head to toe in not only old dirt-laced cosmo (expected) but every nook and cranny is full of grease, dirt and awful black paint.

I swear that the Indian depots pulled these rifles off the line, left them in what ever condition they found them and slapped a coat of black paint on them. Everything is covered in globs of paint. Sort of like a 100 year old house that got coats of thick paint over the years but never was stripped.

I've broken her down into every screw and pin and scubbed every part with mineral spirits and a brass brush (a 2 day process). Now the metal is completely clean but there is 5-10% finish left. Now my question...

I don't believe Indian imported Enfields appear to be all that collectable. I don't foresee selling this rifle -- certainly not to make a profit --will just be a shooter. So should I work to dress up the rifle and paint Brownells AlumaHyde II matte black on the metal (to match the original) or leave the old girl with little finish? I know many (including me) say leave rifles in their original state...it's just that she looks so sad in her current state with the years of neglect.

Tom2

Matte finish

Since it is a military surplus gun, you could have it either matte blued or black parkerised, which both would look OK on a mil. gun. The park. would most resemble the original finish, and be vastly more durable. Specify black or it might come back in sort of a gray color. The matte finish is prepped by just putting all the metal parts in a blasting booth and blasting down to bare metal with fine glass beads-don't let them use sand! Too rough. This prep is relatively fast and easy as compared to the polishing that goes into a shiny blue. Costs less too. Then the steel is in a smooth frosted matte kind of state and can go right into the blueing or parkerising tanks-assuming it was fully degreased before blasting. I would lean towards whichever finish is cheaper myself. You can even put on the baked on black finish over the parkerised finish if you insist on full authenticity. I would see if they can possibly plug the barrel to prevent bead blasting the bore so it remains relatively nice and shiny. You can parkerise with plugs in, but the heat from blueing may expand the air in the barrel and blow out the plugs anyway.

Drue

I would restore (not bubbasize) the Enfield. The original finish is 90-95% gone anyway. It did not come from the factory with no paint on the metal and a cosmoline soaked stock. Unless there was documented proof that the rifle was connected to some historical event or person, in which case I would not alter it at all, restoring it to more closely resemble the original condition would be a worthwhile project. It would increase the value and provide more enjoyment.

Drue

jefnvk

I know what you mean. I have an Ishapore 2A1 sitting next to a Long Branch Mk 4. The difference in quality is something like a Cavalier compared to a Porsche.

Restore it. You sound like you'll enjoy it more, and it'll look nicer.

Just don't sporterize it.

Steve499

I love the 'character' in old military rifles. I have lots of well finished guns but I, personally, would never refinish a military rifle. Heck, I probably would have (cringe) even left the paint on it!

iamkris

Thanks for the input Steve, but you haven't seen what this rifle looked like. :) Character wasn't a word that would describe it. :barf:

Picture having a can of black paint with only a pint or so left in it. dump a couple of handfuls of dirt and dog hair in it. Leave the can open a couple of days and let it start to dry out.

Now, dip an old dirty brush in there and slop it in all the cracks and crevices. Don't paint the flat surfaces...just the crevices. Let it dry...now throw mud all over the gun. :eek: There, you have my Enfield before I cleaned it up. After I cleaned it, it was bare metal.

My CMP Garand has character. My 03A3 has character. As do my 91/30, SKS, M44 and K31. ;)

Adam Firestone

If you're going to refinish - then RESTORE as Drue says. IIRC, the No.4's were FTR'd after the war. They were parkerized and then "stoved," which is to say an enamel finish was painted on and then baked on. There are a number of places who can do the work. If you're going that route, then you really ought to strip, steam and refinish the wood too.