Enfield model 1917

Hunter1018

I want to know some information on a gun a have recieved from my grandfather. He said he bought it after the first world war.

He said he paid like $8 or $10 for it.

It says:

U.S.
Model of 1917
Eddystone

It has a picture of a eagle head on the barrel near the reciever and on the safety.

Can anybody give me some information on this gun?:confused:

orsogato

Sure,

You have a U.S. Rifle Model 1917 Enfield. .30-06 calibre. this rifle was used by our Soldiers during wwI. Actually more 1917 Enfields were in the hands of our troops than 1903 Springfields.

Also, the 1917 Enfield is the firearm that Sgt. York was armed with when he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

They shoot great. I once owned one which I paid around $165 for and sold it. They fetch around $350-$400 whenever I see them. I'd say the $8 investment has paid off well.

The 1917 Enfield was manufactured by Remington and Eddystone. Yours is an Eddystone made in the Eddystone, PA. I think quality on the rifles is the same between the two. In fact I think the Eddystone plant had Remington machinery or was a Remington subsidiaru corporation.

Orso
out

Dfariswheel

To add a little more history to your rifle:
The British were working on a Mauser-type rifle as a possible replacement for their Lee-Enfield rifle. Their design was called the P-13 and was to be chambered for an odd .256? round. they had problems with the round overheating the rifle.

When WWI started, they reworked the rifle to the standard British service .303 round, calling it the P-14. Lacking the manufacturing capacity to make the P-14, they contracted with the American firms of Winchester and Remington/Eddystone. These American made rifles were, for a number of reasons, not regularly issued to British troops, who continued to use the Lee-Enfield, but were used as their sniper rifle.

When America entered the war, Springfield and Rock Island arsenals were unable to make enough 1903 rifles, so the British P-14 was reworked again, this time to the American 30/06 service round, and issued as the U.S. 1917 Enfield rifle. A great many American troops were armed with the 1917, which most people thought, was a better battle rifle than the 1903.

After the war, many of these were sold through the Director Of Civilain Marksmanship/NRA program. During WWII, the 1917 was issued in great numbers to home guard, training units, and factory guards. Numbers were also given to the British through the Lend/Lease program. After this war the last were sold through DCM/NRA and regular surplus.

The 1917 was for some years, a favorite action for Magnum rifle conversions. During the 1920's/30's Remington made a number of commercial rifles based on the 1917 action, since they had vast stockpiles of parts, and the manufacturing tooling.

If in good condition it should be a great shooter, and if still unaltered or "sporterized" these are becoming collectable, and prices are going up.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Yeah, the collector value, now, outweighs its value as a base for a custom rifle.

It is one of the strongest claw-feed actions made. When Remington tested their 721, the Enfield outlived the Model 70. It survived three 220-grain bullets ahead of a case-full of some slow burning powder...

In the old days, when stuff was cheaper and a $100 Model 70 was regarded as expensive, a "real custom job" model 1917 usually:

Had the ears ground off, and was drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Floor plate straightened out. Barrel cut back some and re-crowned. Trigger changed to cock on opening (Dayton-Traister). Bishop stock...

Hmmm. Sounds like my first '06!

:), Art

AEM

To see '17 Enfields in use...

Try to catch the recent made for TV movie shown on A&E network called "The Lost Battalion." Based on a true story, it is pretty good. The doughboys are armed with 1917s, the first time I have ever seen them used in a film.

The 1917 action is "magnum length," long enough for the long magnum cartridges like the .300 and .375 H&H Magnum, which is one reason the 1917 was so popular for sporterizing.

Remington's classic 30s sporter was based on the 1917 action. I came across one in a gunshop months ago and it was like going to a museum. A great old rifle.

Bogie

Well, sounds like sometime in the next year or so, I'm gonna start hunting for a 1917 action - Probably going to be a .375...

Could someone gift us with a picture, or a link to a picture?

AEM

Bogie,

Just remember, those actions are more than 80 years old! It's up to you, of course, but if I were building a custom .375 H&H I'd use a CZ mauser magnum length action. Sorry, I don't have a link, but I believe the CZ actions are available.

Bogie

Well, if I build a .375, it'll be used, possibly fairly close, on griz (eventually). I'll want a controlled feed - don't want a stovepipe if I need to run a second round up the pipe.

AEM

The CZ, like all Mausers, has the controlled feed design. In fact, I think we copied it from the Mauser.

Other good controlled-feed actions which come in the .375 length are the Winchester Model 70 and the Ruger 77MkII magnum length. although I think there is some argument as to whether the Ruger is a true controlled-feed design.

Good luck with the rifle!

Hemicuda

Y'all got one of the STRONGEST bolt-guns available... I have a 300 H&H mag made from an "Eddystone" pattern 17...

VERY nice weapon!

IamNOTaNUT

I seem to recall there was some concern with the Eddystone variant pattern 17 having out of spec steel, or some such thing. The result was that when they were rebarrelled, their receivers had a tendancy to develop a hairline crack.

Another odd bit, wasn't the Eddystone facility actually a locomotive company?

I have a Pattern 17, as well as a Pattern 14, andfind they are both wonderful rifles.

Happiness is shooting a piece of history.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
This is the first I've ever heard about a problem with the receiver. Sorta doubt it.

Wouldn't worry about the age thing, either. Age hasn't hurt my Krag, my 1902 Model 94 or my 1903 SAA in .44-40. 55 years hasn't hurt my father's two Springfield sporters. His pre-1954 Model 70 still works okay.

Nuff.

:), Art

Dfariswheel

As I recall, the Eddystone receiver problem turned up on rifles that had been rebarreled during WWII. It's belived the receivers were cracked by improper rebarreling technique. I think they all had Marlin barrels, and the problem wasn't discovered until rifles were reblued after the war

Ollie Krag

To Mr Art Eatman

I noticed you have a krag rifle - how long have you had it? I have loved krags since I learned to shoot with the one my Grandpa brought back from the Phillipines & China when I was five! (balanced it on a birdbath) I love the old things!