Enfield, Mauser, M44 or MN: Which should I buy first?

Rome

Fellow C&R collectors:

The latest SOG mailing has a nice selection of all four C&R rifles available in numerous flavors this month. The prices appear very reasonable so I'm thinking I should finally purchase a bolt-action battle rifle to add to my growing collection of SA battle rifles. I don't particularly like bolt action rifles but I feel drawn to them due to the historical connections.

I'll eventually end up owning at least one of each during the coming years. The question here, however, is which one should I purchase first?

I'd just like your quick opinion of the ones offered here based on your experience with the overall performance, condition, and shrinking availability of these common rifles. Like the SKS, more and more of these rifles are becoming rarer to find in large lots and the prices have started to rise. In addition, as the lots become smaller, the quality of those left on the market begin to diminish leaving only the really rough ones out there.

If there are multiple arsenals (Romanian, Russian, Hungarian, etc, etc.) please indicate your preference, too. BTW, I don't hunt with them nor add scopes to them so I'm not concerned about that aspect of these rifles. I do, however, restore them and try to regularly shoot them and make them as accurate as I can. I just like the old iron sites, big caliber, and historical significance.

Any and all inputs will be very much appreciated as this is the biggest and most experienced group of firearm owners on the 'net and, while I try to read up on this subject, I'm perplexed as to how to start.

Rome

Zeebrahed

You know, I have a quite a few M44's and Mausers. These old surplus guns really add up quick when your a cruffler!

I have found that the Polish M44's were always of a consistently high quality. The Russians are good too, but the Poles really seem to stand out in my collection.

Gino

Just my humble opinion:

The "Unissued" Yugo Mausers seem to be starting to get scarce, so I'd look good and hard at them. Enfields (which used to be everywhere and cheap) are also getting harder to find. Nagants will prob be around for quite some time, so I'd look to the other 2 rifles first. BTW, IMHO the Enfields and Mausers are much more fun to shoot!

Look at what is a good deal RIGHT NOW. The best deals change monthly. I'd also advise you to check out AIM Surplus, they are my favorite C&R supplier - Good prices, guns as described, and very good service.

BTW, I've got a Polish M44 and it really is a beautiful rifle, (easily the best m44 type by far) but I haven't seen these advertized lately. If you have a chance to get one, go for it!

Rome

OK! I've taken the plunge

Since three of you like the Polish M44, I ordered one from SOG and added the "hand pick" option. They're advertised as being in great shape. In addition, I decided to order a 91/30 MN, too. They both shoot the same ammo so I bought 440 rounds of 7.62 x 54. I,too, felt the MN will be around for a long time but I've been wanting one and since the ammo is the same, I just decided to take the plunge.

Next month I'll order an Enfield but I'm trying to decide which model. There are sooooo many to choose from. The Yugo is also interesting to me but it'll wait until next month, too.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I guess I'll have to make more room in the "gun closet". My wife gave a closet to me just to guns and ammo and "stuff". I sure hope she doesn't look in there anytime soon!

Rome

Thibault

IMVHO,
When you'll go looking for an Enfield, go for a No4 MkII.
They are peace-time production, solely made in England, and their fit and finish are excellent.

BMiracle

I have all that you are asking about. My favorites are my Yugo M48a and Russian M44. Both of these are in excellent condition. The Yugo has shot a best group of 2" at 100 yards. (open sights and one time deal-usually averages closer to 3") I also like the Turk mausers if you can find one in decent shape.

Rome

I know I'll end up owning a Turk Mauser just because the condition they appear to be in is just great. The M44 seems to be a very popular rifle to own, however, and I'm looking forward to getting mine on Friday. Can you suggest any particular websites so I can do additional reading and research? I can use a search engine but sometimes it's better if someone directs me to one they know is good.

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Rome

Daryl Waldron

The Polish M44 is a fine rifle and a good first pick, but not all that fun to shoot. It kicks a bit more than would be comfortable and I find the attached bayonet makes the rifle feel unbalanced. The Mauser with is smooth action and overall good looks is an excellent rifle, but I like the Enfield. I think you well find the Enfield overall a better shooter. One of the best shooting bolt action I have is a Lithgow.

sumabich

Sites!!!!!!!!!!

Rome,
Check out the following sites:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5061/index.html and http://www.mosin-nagant.net/
and http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/intro.htm
These have good basic articles on breakdown, history, dating and cleaning. You might also try to find Mark Kubes in Florida. He has parts, whole guns, etc. I personally enjoy the "kick" of the 7.62X54 until about the 6th round, then my shoulder starts bruising. It is a fine old gun. Only gripe is the safety mechanism but you'll get used to it!

blackdog00

My vote is for a Mauser FR8 in 7.62x51. Surplus Ammo is cheap and I prefer the peep site. Besides there are a alot of acessories available to the Mauser, like adjustable triggers and stocks.