Enfield Mark 1 No. 2 Question

41special

To any resident expert,

I just picked up a great little Enfield break top, but I have one question....

When I break the gun open, the extractor comes up to eject the spent cases, but it stays up.

Unlike my S&W break top's wherein the extractor ejects the cases, then resets into the cylinder for loading.

Is my revolver messed up ?

What do I have to do to fix it ?

Thanks

Tom2

Go back?

Does it go back down when you close the gun or do you have to push it in? Sounds like some kind of cam is not working, or it needs some lube. I have a couple H&R topbreaks that work like the Smiths. Perhaps you should remove the big screw and take a look at the guts of the hinge area. Make a note of how it goes together before you take out the pieces.

Sir William

There are multiple possibilities. The simplest one is that it was reassembled improperly. There is a large head screw at the pivot point in the break open action. Use a dime or larger screwdriver to loosen this screw. The retainer that holds the cylinder in place will drop and allow the cylnder to be removed. This is normal for field stripping and cleaning. Replace the cylinder and the extractor star should retract, reposiion the retainer to hold the cylinder in place and tighten the large screw. Check for clearance and close the revolver. It should open up and retract. If it doesn't, there are other possibilities. In many 455s, the cylinders were shortened for using 45 Auto Rim or 45 ACP in moon clips. These shortened cylinders will raise the extractor but, they do not drop as they are modified from being able to function. They will retract upon closing though. Check for the inspection release function also. When the revolver is breaking open, there is a nub in the pivot hinge that projects outward, push in on it while opening and the extractor star will NOT rise. This allows one to see if the revolver is loaded without ejecting the cartridges. Someone could have attempted a repair with improper parts too. In particular the cylinder extractor spring. Try the simple things first. Visual inspection should reveal if it has been modified from its as designed specifications. Look into the chambers and see if they have been reamed, are the shoulders inside the chambers present? In 380-200 revolvers, it was popular at one time to modify/ream the chambers to allow 38 Special full wadcutter cartridges to chamber. The possibility of modifications is high.

41special

Sir William,

Well :

1. I tried the inspection notch, and it's works as you described.

2. I see no modifications at all, the chambers are correct, and the cylinder appears untouched.

3. It does retract upon closing, it just dosent 'drop'

The gun looks almost new, 'carried some shot a little' all the numbers match, my only complaint is the trigger stacks and there's slack in SA mode.

I'm going to try to field strip it and see what happens.

Thanks for the info

Sir William

Feel free to e-mail or PM. I will be glad to talk you through cleaning. They aren't too difficult. The Scott & Webleys, Enfields and Albion Motors examples are similar. 450/455/476 and 380-200 are all of shared family traits.

41special

Sir William,

I just might take you up on that, one thing I like about this thing is it's very well made, but it's very complicated.

I think I found the root of the problem : on the bottom of the 'extractor cam?' just behind the notch that engages on the frame : there is a smalll burr that seems to stop the cam from rotating when it's supposed too near the fully open position.

Now my next question is : Why is my Enfield marked RGDFIELD N.J. instead of London or what have you ?

After I clean it or 'we' clean it, I'll snap a picture of it, it really is in great shape, especially for 150.00 (did I get took?)

Thanks

41special

Sir William,

Well after a very good cleaning, and filing that small burr off, the thing works like a charm!!!!

Can't wait to shoot it.

Thanks

saber22

does your revolver have a hammer spur?

Is it the earlier model with the hammer spur or the later so called "commando" model without? They can be a little rough but accurate for what they are. Also very are a ball to shoot as there is almost no recoil.
I have been reloading mine with 2.7gr of unique and a hornady .358 LRN slug. Saves you the $15.00 that remington 38S&W will cost you any more (they could at least give us some hollow points for this price).

SIGSHR

The original Enfield No. 2 Mk I adopted in 1927 came with a hammer spur and was SA/DA, in 1938 or so they came out with a spurless model at the request of tank crews who found the hammer spur snagged too often for them. I suspect the "Commando" designation is not official (cf the designation of "Gestapo" model for a P-38 with a short barrel) but is a marketing ploy, the Commandosactually preferred S&Ws and the Browning HP.