Enfield Jungle Carbine Reassembly

Mikef262

Hey guys,

Purchased a Jungle Carbine MK5 NO1 today that came in pretty poor condition. I bought it as a project to work on while on this night shift rotation. I started the night with a cleaning and have apparently reassembled it incorrectly. Nothing took force to reassemble so I have no clue where I went wrong. Once reassembled I went to dry fire it to make sure it worked, as well as to test the safety. Once the bolt goes in past the retaining pin it becomes very hard to close and once it does close the firing pin snaps forward as if the trigger was pressed. However, the rear of the bolt stays out as it would if you were to re-cycle the bolt. The only part I was iffy on was reassembling the magazine release portion. There is the V shapped piece that intermingles with the magazine release with the U shaped spring in between the two. Typically I take pictures of stuff before taking it apart but unfortunately I did not this time... of course... I can't find any YouTube videos that show a reassembly of what I need. I will try repositioning that V shaped piece behind the mag release lever the next chance I get to tinker with it. But again, nothing took any amount of force to get back in. If anyone has any ideas or links to a disassembly manual I would GREATLY appreciate it!

On a side note, it is now very clean! It was VERY dirty and had lots of rust spots starting to form all over. Luckily all the pitting is in areas hidden by the stock, at least they will be. The upper handguard was missing when I got it but I currently have one on order.

highpower3006

Sounds like you have the trigger on the wrong side of the sear. I don't know it that's even possible, but from your description it seems the most likely.

Mikef262

Thank you all for your help! Finally got some time to sit down with it and got it back functioning as it should be! The only issue I am having now is the bolt being extremely hard to pull back after dry firing it. It glides forward and locks with ease but pulling it back is a different story.

moose fat

Take the bolt out and look for new rub marks.
Is the bolt head inside the bolt head groove that runs along the right side of the receiver? When you're removing the bolt "feel" for where its binding and look there.
You need to depress the bolt head release tab to remove and insert the bolt/head, below the sight (right side).
Did you reassemble the safety mechanism correctly? The safety has those big coarse threads that need to be indexed correctly.
Is the ejector screw, just a screw in the left side of the receiver that the rim impacts and kicks the empty brass out, rubbing?
A bit of your favorite grease judiciously applied wouldn't hurt, on the metal to metal slidy bits. That's an English technical term:D

tangolima

Thank you all for your help! Finally got some time to sit down with it and got it back functioning as it should be! The only issue I am having now is the bolt being extremely hard to pull back after dry firing it. It glides forward and locks with ease but pulling it back is a different story.
After dry firing, no problem lifting the bolt handle. Just hard to pull the bolt back? Does it help if you pull back the trigger?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mikef262

The safety operates as it should, no issues flipping it either. Pulling the trigger does not help the bolt go back. The bolt is easy to lift, it is just pulling back. I hadn't had much time to work on it, got called into work about 30 minutes after my last reply and family stuff the next day. I will hopefully get a chance to sit down Monday night and dig deeper into it. I did not notice any new wear marks anywhere on the bolt nor the rifle from cycling the bolt. I'll try to get some pictures Monday night and attach them.