Enfield help

JKump

I just picked up an Enfield. I think it is a No. 1 mark 3, but not sure. Any help? Also was told that somewhere on the net, I Could check the serial number and get history on the rifle.

tahunua001

without pictures it's kindof hard to offer any guidance. not exactly sure what you are looking for as well, your inquiry is kindof vague. there are some websites that have a serial number date but the only enfields that those would really work with are the pattern 14 rifles built in the US which share almost no commonality with the enfield number 1 and subsequent designs other than being cock on close rifles chambered in 303 brit.

what I can tell you, if it is indeed a number 1, it could have been manufactured anywhere from great britain, to australia, to inda, and depending on the nation of origin and year it was produced it could even be chambered in 7.62x51 nato. it's pretty easy to tell the 308 variants just by looking at the shape of the magazine.

as for dating, because so many different nations made them, they all had different schema for serializing them so unless you are a historian who really knows their stuff about enfields and happens to have a personal library dedicated to them, it's not going to be easy to determine a date that they were made.

JKump

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 1958377_10205302580140276_2476867354499416275_n.jpg
    1958377_10205302580140276_2476867354499416275_n.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 10986694_10205302579300255_4411421982074730442_n.jpg
    10986694_10205302579300255_4411421982074730442_n.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 36

tahunua001

ok from the pictures,
it was manufactured at enfield in great britain. it has been sporterized, that is, it's been converted from military configuration to be easier to hunt with.

it originally looked like this(sorry for the gigantic pic)
Lee-Enfield_Mk_III_(No_1_Mk_3)_-_AM.032056.jpg

the barrel does not look like a factory barrel as there is no mount for the rear sight so be very careful as it may have been converted to another caliber.

I do not know what the *** represents, normally * represents a variation on the existing model designs. for instance with enfield number 4s(WWII era) canadian and US produced number 4 MK1s had a different method for removing the bolt which eased production and cut down on moving parts, these rifles were given the name number 4 MK1* to differentiate from the other number 4 MK1s. I have no idea what *** would represent.

is there any markings on the left side of the receiver or were they covered up when the fellow that sporterized it added the scope mount? that is likely where your defining marks are.

JKump

Thanks, it does have the original barrel. They just removed the sights. It has matching numbers on barrel, action (lock) and on the bolt. it has a date of 1905 under the word Enfield on the band.

wogpotter

What you have is a field upgrade from a Charger Loading Lee Enfield, (CLLE) made in 1906. The upgrade was to take advantage of the (then) new Mk6 round with the spitzer (pointed) bullet. It was called a Short, Magazine Lee Enfield (SMLE) but its earlier than the No1 MkIII. I can't tell from the images but is the magazine cutoff fitted? I see the slot. but not the plate. Its known as a "number one star star star", & it was over-stamped to reflect the changes.

Originally it would have had the charger loading guides on the bolt head, but the Charger bridge was added later, causing the second star.

Unfortunately its been sported & so all collectable value is gone. As for finding history from serial numbers that's a fantasy I'm afraid. You could find which factory made it, but not track it's service history as few such records were kept & most of those were destroyed in WW1 & WW2. The best source would have been the brass disc in the stock, as it would have had the regiment marked on it & possibly even a second, earlier one on the reverse, but it seems to have been replaced by a nickle.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

That's a heavily bubba'd, but early No. 1 Mk III Lee-Enfield made in 1906 by Birmingham Small Arms(BSA. Same guys as the motorcycles, etc).
How long's the barrel? Lot were cut. Should be about 25".
Do not shoot it without first checking the headspace. Thousands of 'em were assembled out of parts bins with zero QC.
The *'s indicate it was a Mk I that has been factory rebuilt to Mk III standards. The stars mean a minor change that isn't enough to warrant another Mark.
The 'ER' under he Crown indicates Edward Rex. As in Edward VII of England. King until 1910.
There's no way of finding specific info on your rifle, especially where it spent any time, but this'll give you some.
http://www.rifleman.org.uk/The_Rifle_Short_Magazine_Lee-Enfield.htm
It is extremely expensive these days to restore any Lee-Enfield to full military configuration. The rear sight protector(wings) runs $5.05 along from Gun parts. Very few whole stock sets either. You'd need about $100 worth of wood alone. Not to mention the hordes of screws you don't have.
Check the headspace and if it's ok(requires a handful of bolt heads at $14.15 each to try with gauges if it's bad.), slug the barrel(they can measure between .311" to .315" and be ok. Commercial factory ammo uses .311" or .312" bullets.) and if it's all ok, you have a rifle that can kill any game you care to hunt. Scope mounts are poor though.

JKump

Thanks for all the help. The barrel length is approx. 23". I know it was Sporterized, but I am looking for a knock around hunting rifle for deer and hogs. I have not shot it yet, but a fellow Officer has. It handles very well. I thought about adding sights back on it as the scope mount is of set on the left. I thought it was an early "Smellie". The date of 1905 is about right. the regimental coin is gone, replaced by a 1979 Quater. Would love to put another Regimental coin in the slot, but what coin?
Anyway, Thanks everyone, I know more now than I did. :)