Enfield #1 Mark 3 custom options

Blindstitch

I have an Enfield #1 Mark 3 303 that I picked up earlier this summer for $125. It has a sporterized forend stock and a short piece of wood on top in front of the sight. Beyond that I believe it's original. Not much of a looker but boy does it shoot.

But since I got it I pretty much just buried it in the back of the closet not sure what to do with it.

I see boyd offers stocks for $110 and I thought maybe a scope but I could go anyway or leave it in the closet.

Show me your customs or give me some ideas on a way to go with it. Any help is appreciated. Pictures are even better.

Bigfatts

This is a No 4 Mk 1 that I trot out whenever someone asks. It started as a chopped up sporter. Had an extra hole in the reciever so I didn't mind chopping it up further. I took the reciever bridge off, searched for months until I could find a stock set I was happy with. The butt is from a custom set I found on some obscure auction site. The forend didn't fit but I got real lucky and snagged an almost perfect matching forend off of Numrich's ebay. Found a 5 round sporter mag, installed decent safari style sights and had it reblued. Had the hole in the bolt knob filled, bolt body jewelled and the bits reblued. It's been sitting in the back of the safe for a few years and still needs some finishing touches, but it's a good looking rifle. Still need to polich the feedramp and add a Huber Concepts trigger. I built it as kind of a poor man's African Plains rifle.

Check Numrich's ebay, often. Sometimes if they come across one or two pieces of something they throw it on there instead of the web site. And scour the auction sites for parts. Nice custom parts are not plentiful for SMLEs, but they are out there.

Hawg

My No.1 MKIII in an ATI stock. I got it through Amazon for a lot less than ATI wanted for it. IIRC is was 54.00 or thereabouts.

T. O'Heir

Start by checking the headspace. Thousands of Lee-Enfields were assembled out of parts bins with zero QC.
Scoping a No. 1, that was never designed to have one, requires drilling the holes for the bases. Said bases are cheap and work like they're cheap. None of the so-called 'no gunsmithing' mounts work very well. Usually only 3 holes, one of which goes in the charger guide. ATI makes one that uses regular Weaver style rings. http://www.atigunstocks.com/rifles/enfield-33

wogpotter

A counterpoint if I may.
Start by checking the bolt's serial number matches the receivers. There is more to setting up an Enfield than "checking headspace".

Blindstitch

Wasn't worried about relaxing. I was just looking for options on ways to make it look better and give me a reason to use it instead of burying it in the back of the closet.

Ballistically I already have a 30-40 krag bolt action with open sights and raised cheek well. Along with a custom carved stock done by my grandpa a retired gunsmith.

I bought the Enfield from him and it shoots great but it isn't original complete in the way of wood being chopped down and rounded off. So I'm looking for options on how to make it custom mine that I want to take to the range or maybe hunting.

It's obviously the top rifle.

pathdoc

I am wary of ATI stocks. One of my SMLE rifles that I fitted one to as an emergency measure when the fore end fractured shot significantly worse in plastic, then recovered with a replacement set of military wood. Others may find differently, but that was my experience and it's not one I'll be eager to repeat.

Hawg

I am wary of ATI stocks. One of my SMLE rifles that I fitted one to as an emergency measure when the fore end fractured shot significantly worse in plastic, then recovered with a replacement set of military wood. Others may find differently, but that was my experience and it's not one I'll be eager to repeat.

I cant comment on that as mine was missing the front sight blade when I got it and I haven't replaced it yet.

CowTowner

No pictures, but I own 2 No4 Mk1s with Boyd's laminate stocks on them. They both took quite a bit of fitting, but IMHO it was worth the time and effort.
I had an ATI on 1 of them and found it way too light for the recoil of 180 grain bullet hunting loads.

5thShock

Don't smooth it up too much, embrace the outback ranger aesthetic, and get yourself a big hat and a big knife too go with it. G'Day.