ENCO Press????

Ideal Tool

Hello, Roger. If you look in Phil Sharpes Complete Guide To Handloading, you will see quite a few examples of arbor type press reloading tools. Of course, they are not as crude as the one on flea bay. Harvey Donaldson who was a patternmaker by trade, made up an arbor type press which he did all his handloading and cartridge development on. The first commercial jacketed bullet makers..Swift, and RCBS did in fact use large arbor presses with hand made bullet forming dies to turn out their products.

Roger Ronas

Thanks IT,
I guess at 53 yo I'm still a youngin to realize that that was done back then.

But I think this add was to try and extract more money for the press by stating that it was for reloading. Nothing wrong with an arbor press but in this day, it has very little use for reloading.

Roger

hoghunting

Nothing wrong with an arbor press but in this day, it has very little use for reloading.

Flip through a Sinclair catalog and look at the Wilson arbor press and hand dies. Most bench rest shooters that I know, use them.

F. Guffey

Avoid that press, Google Enco, the press pictured is an import and not expensive, I have arbor presses, one is a Dake, there is nothing about the Dake arbor press that is reloading, but with heavy duty sizing and forming it works, shell holders that bolt to a press made by C&H and fit their 4 position press fit the arbor, upside down, when cranking down on the handle us a good lube or be prepared to drive the case out of the die or the barrel.

The larger arbor press has enough clearance for a strain gage, this means it has a purpose for a very few, the arbor press when used with a strain gage will inform the user of the amount of weight required to size a case. As I said that means nothing to most.

In my opinion the press listed is not worth the cost of shipping

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

"Where do the dies screw in?"

Drill a hole in a thick piece of metal, tap the hole with a 7/8 x 14 threads per inch, not attaching the plate to the press will allow for floating to find center, but, if the plate is not attached or held down raising the ram does not remove the cases, again the shell holder is installed into the ram upside down, the die when installed into the plate is also upside down, when forming a case into a chamber the barrel is held in a plate with a beveled round hole, more times than not the set-up will imprint on the barrel if the edges of the hole in the plate is sharp, the opposite applies when using other home made tools for reloading.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

and if the anvil has a 7/8" slot a large 7/8 x 14 threaded nut will work, and a thin plate can be added under the nut attached to the die to support the die.

F. Guffey

jaguarxk120

The Enco web site shows a one ton press the same as on ebay. Their list price for a new press is $39.99, maybe being used adds over $350 in value.

mikld

I got one of the 1 ton arbor presses. I'm gonna try it with my Lee Loaders, and I've been using it with my .22 accurizer tool. I already have one single stage and one turret press, but I want to try "in-line" seating/reloading... (even if you could mount a die upside down, you would still have to machine the ram to hold a shell holder, and the press is designed to apply pressure in one direction only)

F. Guffey

"you would still have to machine the ram to hold"

The ram on the arbor press is designed to accommodate attachments, the attachments are installed into a 1/2 inch hole, again, the shell holders for older presses have a 1/2" shank, I remove the nut then install the shank of the shell holder into the arbor and secure it with a set screw, by design. The ram on the arbor press is a tool holder.
The arbor goes both ways the most logical way to use the press is with down pressure, in reverse there is nothing suspect about the effort if the press is bolted down, but with effort when raising the arbor the shell holder can be pulled out, this could ruin the threads on the shell holder.

F. Guffey

Contact C&H4D or look at their on line catalog

http://www.ch4d.com/

mikld

"The ram on the arbor press is designed to accommodate attachments,"

The OP was about Enco Arbor Press. My 1 ton Enco Arbor Press does not have the ram machined for attachments...

Roger Ronas

I'm not saying that an Arbor press "can't, shouldn't, isn't or hasn't " been used for reloading. I thought the add was quite funny because they are advertising a cheap Enco press as an expensive arbor press to reload with. That add is designed to trick someone into thinking that you can buy it and start reloading on it.
some here found it funny as I did and others defended arbor presses. That arbor press was NOT designed to reload on.

wncchester

That thing is a machine or auto repair shop arbor press, made to insert/remove smallish bearings and bushings in autos, tractors, etc. And it's over priced by at least five times it's fair market value. IMHO, it's a piece of junk for reloading work.

riverwalker76

This is a bearing press used on automobiles and farm machinery. Someone Jury Rigged it up as a reloading press! :rolleyes:

$10 - $20 at any garage sale.