EMF 1873 SA in .44 special?

HighValleyRanch

I have what appears to be an EMF Great Western "Californian" made by Pietta according to my research.
But there are a few peculiarities that perhaps some experts in SA can help me with.
1. Will this take original COLT SA grips? Or what grip frame is this
2. It does not have "floating" hammer firing pin. It is fixed to the hammer, so is this an earlier model?
3. The sight notch is also not the later wide notch, it is pretty narrow.
4. From my research, they state that this model only came in .44/40, but this is marked .44 special. Could not find any EMF or Pietta's like this with the case hardened frame that were originally .44 special

I think I'll start shooting this gun. I originally gave to my father as a gift many years ago, but now he is in a rest home, so I've inherited it again. It's unfired condition! Gummed up from years of unuse, but got it all cleaned and working again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05850.JPG
    DSC05850.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC05849.JPG
    DSC05849.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC05848.JPG
    DSC05848.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 372

stinkeypete

I can’t tell you much about the revolver other than:

Those grip panels look fabulous, no way would I change them.
If you want good custom grips, your grip maker will want the grip frame for an exact fit, otherwise they are just bolt-on parts.

The hammer is authentic design to the Colt, so keep an empty cylinder under the hammer.

The sight notch: it’s easier to file some off than to file some back on. Shoot it, see if it’s shooting to proper windage (left-right) then do some math and ask a friend or two. File a little off the correct side with a needle file. Shoot again. Repeat, little changes. It’s easier to file off than file metal back on!

.44 special is a very cool cartridge. A good one to reload for because the answer is simply “how much Unique powder do you like in there?”

mk70ss

Can’t answer any of your questions, but I can tell you this: I think you have one great shooter there! Very nice.

bedbugbilly

I can't tell you much on the EMF but I'm sure they probably offered many models over the time they existed. Nice looking revolver and I'm another vote on keeping those grips on it! :) It ought to be a great shooter. You gave it to your Dad, now you have it back . . . that gun will provide you with some good memories every time you shoot it. Enjoy!

Bob Wright

As to Colt grips fitting~ well, fitting replacement Colt grips to a Colt Single Action Army is a crapshoot. All will take a little fitting.

Bob Wright

tipoc

You may be able to find out a bit more about the gun by contacting EMF directly.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1873-Great-Western-II-Revolvers-c64.htm

This gun is patterned after the Colt 1873. So it's most likely that stocks for a Colt will work. You can take the piece to the next gunshow, sans grips on it, and ask to try on some grips from a vendor. A local gunatorium near you is also likely to have a few spares in the back as well. Especially if they have a gunsmith.

Should be a great gun and a fun shooter.

tipoc