Emergency Ramrod on a budget

TimSr

I was hunting 2nd to last day of muzzleloader, and lost my ramrod for my Hawkins. (3rd time). When I'm going through heavy brush, with rifle on my shoulder, it tends to get caught and pulled out. I finished the day knowing I was limited to one shot. On the way home, stopped at Rural King and Walmart to find one so I could hunt the next day. They typically run around $20. Walmart was bare. RK had range rods with a big T handle on the end that you couldn't carry in the gun. Finally I went into Lowes to find a dow rod to get me through the next day. As I go down the isle I see these bright orange driveway stakes they put in the ground to mark where the driveway ends to plow snow. They are like a fiberous plastic that is about indestructible, and about 5' long. They looked about the right diameter. I checked the price and at $1.99 I grabbed one. Cut it to teh right length at home and works great! Also will be easy to find if I drop it. The only thing is it doesn't have the threaded end, but I figured that since I've never had to run a path through it in the field before, I'd be good now. Also, if I put the metal capped end in first it is really hard to pull out.

Blaze orange replacement ramrod - $1.99 :lol:

Photo flash distorted color, but its blaze orange.

Hawkin1_zpsa95bd383.jpg

Hawkin2_zps0a211c2b.jpg

Dragonflydf

cheap enough you can buy a bunch and drop them behind you so you can find your way back.
You might check your rod spring, it could stand to be replaced or adjusted if the rod is coming out that easy.

Snyper

You might check your rod spring, it could stand to be replaced or adjusted if the rod is coming out that easy.
Good point.
I agree it's a gun problem
A little tape around the rod could also make it a tigher fit in the thimble

Pahoo

Be careful if it's fiberglass.

More than likely a fiberglass rod and historically we know what these can do to a bore and muzzle crown. Should be fine as long as you know what you are working with. .... ;)

A few years back, I had a similar experience and to date, have never found the rod even though I walked the same wooded patch, for a number of years. :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Write up a letter to the editor and send it to Muzzle Blasts magazine. Let me know if you need the mailing address (or email addy). ;)

Now that's some smart think'in right there. I'll bet one of the rods would make a excellent range rod also. Hey thanks for sharing that Tip there TimSr._:)

bedbugbilly

Great solution! Plus, it's orange so that if you loose it you'll have a better chance to find it in the brush! Those would make good range rods as well! Thanks for the photos and sharing! :)