Elk Hunt

LOLBELL

I'm sure this has been beat to death, but here goes. My son and I are going on a 4th season elk hunt in SE Colorado. I will be shooting a 280 Rem. I have 150 grn Nosler Partitions and 139 grn Hornady InterBonds, both work great on Alabama whitetails. But an elk is not an Alabama whitetail. I have accurate loads in the 2900-3000 fps range worked up for both of these. We will limit shots to 200yds, that's my limit with out a good rest. Which do you recommend? Not really trying to start a Dodge vs Chevy debate just need to know.

Panfisher

Love the .280 Rem. I honestly think that you could flip a coin and be fine either way. Personally I would opt for the 150 Nosler Partition, little more weight, little more sectional density and no doubt as to its ability either. The 139's might shoot a little flatter, but out to 200 yards I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep over either one if handed them and told "thats what you must hunt with."

ZeroJunk

I killed my last elk with a 280 using 160 grain partitions. I'm thinking they were a little less than 2800 FPS. Worked fine.

LOUD

About a year ago I took a nice mule Deer in Kaycee Wyoming with a Mauser I rebarrelled in 280 . Took him with a 315 yard shot using 139 grn Hornadys . He was down Immediately , now its my go to rifle. The 280 is a wonderful choice...........................LOUD

jrothWA

DO a search in this fourm, on elk hunting

there is nice post back about summer of 2010 regarding elk hunting with "whitetail loads" from couple of Colorado people. Well, worth the reading.

LOUD

Hooligan, no troubles with the 280 regarding magazine issues but I did avoid the AI variety for fear that I would introduce some !!!The shoulder angle was what kind of made my mind . Have you had any problems with this? I have done two in this caliber one a military action (a 1940 issue by Sauer mod 98) and then an Fn action also a 98........LOUD

hooligan1

No I haven't done the .280 but its on my list, when I find another donor.
My 6.506 has magazine issues with longer bullets in my turk mauser action
action, but it shoots very nicely jumping bullets.
.280 is on my list and so its cool you're not having issue's with the magazine.

std7mag

Well, I have to wait till next year, and put in for the elk lottery again.
I have some 160gr. Gamekings loaded up and just waiting for it.

LOLBELL

Decided to go with the 150 Noslers. Time is drawing neigh and we are getting excited about the hunt. Will be on private land in SE Co that has a good success rate.