Electronic Scales

jdscholer

I've finally decided to join the modern age and get a digital scale. I like the brand, price, and capacity of the Lyman Microtouch 1500, but thought I'd run it by y'all in case it's a lemon or some such.

Any others in that class that might be mobetta?

I don't want to spend much more than a hundred bucks unless there's a good reason to. Thanks. jd

TXGunNut

Sorry, no experience with that one. Big fan of the RCBS dispenser/scale combo. I used the PACT BBK's for several years and quite frankly was underwhelmed. When they acted goofy I had to use my old balance beam scale. The RCBS Chargemaster changed all that.
What type of reloading do you generally do? Do you weigh cases, bullets or other components?
The Lyman is well reviewed on the Midway site and I like the price. Considering buying one to replace my BBK's for dedicated case and bullet weighing.

BigJimP

Many of the digital scales....are made by PACT....and then branded for various retailers....and most all of them are only accurate to plus or minus 0.1 grain..../ which is ok for most applications.

For better accuracy ...you'll need to go to a scientific scale that will give you accuracy of plus or minus 0.02 gr ..../ but they're not $100....

The scale you're looking at is probably ok...but look at what the mfg says about accuracy and who made it...

I used an RCBS electronic for yrs ...with no issues ( it was made by PACT )...before I upgraded to a scientific scale made by Denver Instruments...but there are a lot more options around today than there were 10 yrs ago...

Last edited:

wogpotter

I have had a PACT model 1 for a couple of decades now. Never had a problem with it.
I don't know about them being re-branded, but if its true why not go directly to the source?
(photo (c) Wogpotter 2012)
DSCF0797_zps44e31b90.jpg

Martys

I've had a Dillon for years now with zero problems either with battery operations or plugged into the 110v.

jdscholer

I'm plenty happy with .1 accuracy if that is in fact what it is. Was wondering if performance is affected by conditions such as temperature, ac vs battery power, etc.. jd

Bart B.

Scales used in ammo making need to be repeatable. Doesn't matter if they're .4321 grain off exact weights of a lab standard. Properly maintained good beam scales are the most repeatable. Digital ones are a close second.

For weighing cases and bullets, digital scales speed up the process even thouigh they may need to be rezeroed once in a while over time. Get whatever suits your fancy and has decent reviews. I've had a Lyman LE-300 one for years and it does well for that application.

jdscholer

Was just reviewing comparisons of the Lyman vs Hornady, and Lyman takes the day. Guess I'll drop the hammer on it.

Thanks for advice and comments. jd

higgite

Just curious, which Hornady scale were you comparing the Lyman to? The one that costs almost half as much or the one that costs almost twice as much? Or both? All are under $100.

jdscholer

I was looking at this Hornady scale. http://http://www.midwayusa.com/product/438260/hornady-gs-1500-electronic-powder-scale-1500-grain-capacity?cm_vc=ProductFinding

It may be cheaper because it doesn't come with ac as well as battery power. But the reviews weren't too great. I'm not a bells and whistles kind of guy, and will usually take simplicity over frills. Probably would have gone with Hornady except for the reviews.

By the way, I got the Lyman coming from ebay for, -- I think 58 bucks, free shipping. jd

603Country

I have a Lyman 1200 DPS II (I think that's the model number). In 3 or 4 years it has worked great. It throws, trickles, and weighs and I love it. If it breaks I'll get another electronic do-it-all scale. Just so fast and convenient for powder charges. That said, I use the old Lyman 55 for throwing pistol charges.

I use a PACT for back-up checking. The RCBS 1010 stays in the box these days.

9MMand223only

Hello, I have a lot of scales. This one is king: GEMPRO 250.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-GemPro-250-50gX0-001g/dp/B004C3I3AA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419713333&sr=8-1&keywords=gem+pro+250

I know some people that had that scale, that don't like it though, so its not 1 size fits all. First of all, its a precise measuring tool. So it has to be on a perfectly level, and balanced, sturdy surface. Its legs can be adjusted to be dead level, and it has a built in leveler.

After that....its simply the best value in scales, I have ever seen.

Scales are a funny thing. I liken them to phones. If you think a new Samsung S5, or iPhone 6 is the best thing ever, and you HAVE TO HAVE it, you will probably like this Gempro 250. If you don't use smartphones much at all, and still have a lan line at your house, you probably won't like it. :D

kealil

I personally love my electronic scale. I have the Frankford Arsenal mini scale:

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-205205-Arsenal-Reloading-Scale/dp/B002BDOHNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419713411&sr=8-1&keywords=frankford+scale

I use it for weighing cast bullets and verifying powder drop weights. It has served me well for about 3 years now with no hiccups. I haven't found any sensitivities to temperature but direct airflow can be an issue (fluctuated for me when I had a strong box fan right above me).

I will admit that if you're after super precise measurements, like thousandths of a grain, then this scale is not for you but I have compared it with my RCBS beam scale and its measurements have coincided with the beam scale every time(except the fan incident of course :rolleyes:)

Jim243

Scales are scales and subject to conditions around them, from spikes in power line voltage to low battery voltage or open windows and drafts blowing through to being off center when you set one up. Always make sure it is level before using and off your bench that your presses are on.

I like and bought the RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster combo and love it. (But it is heavy dollars)

Since you saved a ton of money on a electronic, PLEASE go to Midway USA and purchase a set of "check weights", that way you will have no question about if it is accurate or if something has changed with it. Calibrate it or check weight it each time you set it up before throwing powder for your cases.

Stay safe and shoot straight.
Jim

Last edited:

skizzums

I have the cheap MTM and it is off by -.01 to my mechanical scale, but it is consistently off by the .01, so I am okay with that. I double heck it every couple weeks and has been going good for 8 months or so.

9MMand223only

I personally love my electronic scale. I have the Frankford Arsenal mini scale:

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-2052...rankford+scale

I use it for weighing cast bullets and verifying powder drop weights. It has served me well for about 3 years now with no hiccups. I haven't found any sensitivities to temperature but direct airflow can be an issue (fluctuated for me when I had a strong box fan right above me).

I will admit that if you're after super precise measurements, like thousandths of a grain, then this scale is not for you but I have compared it with my RCBS beam scale and its measurements have coincided with the beam scale every time(except the fan incident of course )

I have the same scale, its works very well, and its quick and accurate. I recommend that scale there for ANY recreational shooter who just wants to shoot for fun. I admit, any scale beyond that one is vastly diminishing returns for what it does to accuracy.

The whole electronic scale thing is a technology in flux. I'll repeat here a few things I've encountered:

Battery power is the most immune to noise. Most people's AC line power has some noise on it from motors and fluorescent lamps and switching power supplies. This noise can cause a scale to drift. If you have an AC powered unit, it may turn out to be worth your time to get a filter for it. An old computer UPS usually filters pretty well. You can also buy EMI filters on line.

Most scales sold for reloading do not have Faraday shielding. This means RF interference may also bother them, even if they are running on batteries. Keep them away from transmitters of any kind and from fluorescent light fixtures for this reason. I have a nice little battery operated range pocket scale made by CED, but if I set it on my computer it drifts. You just can't get it that close to the RF racket.

Many scales are native gram scales with 0.01 gram resolution. That is the unit European load manuals use. It is equal to 0.1543236 grains. Native gram scales convert their results to grains, but because the unit is bigger than 0.1 grains, it will skip some digits in the 0.1 grain least significant digit place. You want a scale whose native unit is grains or whose gram resolution is higher so it doesn't skip digits in the conversion to grains.

Some scales have a settling detector that locks the reading down once it stops changing much. This makes for a stable looking reading, but makes it impossible to trickle charges because the reading stops following the weight at some point. You don't want that. Brian Enos sells scales that don't do that. Ask the maker of any scale you are looking at if it does that.

Battery operated scales often auto-shutdown after some number of seconds to save the batteries. Again, that can mess you up trickling. It can mess you up if you tare the scale, then get back on it too slowly with whatever you intended to weigh. You want a scale that either lets you defeat this feature or, better yet, lets you program it to not happen until several minutes later or however much time you think you might need. That way you can still save your batteries if you forget to turn the thing off, but won't have your readings messed up.

Some scales drift. That's the problem with my PACT. I found temperature to be a factor. The instructions even tell you to let it warm up for 20 minutes, which my battery scale doesn't need. I don't know what the issue is there, but I wound up buying an inexpensive 9"×12" Granite surface plate and a cover with a door for that thing to sit on so its temperature changed only slowly. I understand from others with the same scale that they don't have that issue. It's a QC issue, I suppose. Just be aware that some scales are like that and you can get a good copy or a bad one. Be prepared to make at least one return. I didn't do that fast enough with mine, so I am stuck with it for the matching dispenser (unless I want to pay for a repair). I have moved on to other scales for most purposes.

Some cheap scales rock. Read through the reviews on Amazon. Some inexpensive 20 gram (308 grain) maximum capacity scales with 0.001 gram resolution for under $30 have received great reviews. In one case a great review came from someone who knew how to test scales properly and did so with it and got results that compared favorably to those from a $5,000 scale, IIRC. I think that scale was about $25. Some are under $20, but I don't recall the reviews. Again, look for yourself. The point is, only a decade or so ago no scale that cheap had that kind of resolution. You don't have to pay a lot for it, but do keep in mind these are not actually lab scales. They are vulnerable to the interference issues I mentioned earlier. I don't know anything about their durability.

Actual lab scales: You can buy minimalist versions of these. I have one made by Acculab. It works pretty well, but I think I should have waited and paid twice as much or a little more for an auto-calibrating scale with with a Faraday shield and bigger wind screen box. I weigh things for other work that actually needs the higher resolution, even though reloading really does not. Still, it's nice to have the extra resolution at times as a sort of double-check.

Check weights: The check weights sold for reloading scales are class 6, IIRC. This means a 75 gram weight can be off by by about 0.1 grains. I have trimmed these weights up on a better scale just to be setting the scale up more accurately so it would drift off more slowly. If you know someone with access to a good lab scale, have them check your check weights. Many pharmacies have an annually calibrated higher resolution scale and can weigh your check weights for you. You can buy higher precision check weights, but they are pricey and ultimately unnecessary for reloading. I am happy just knowing what my check weights actually weigh.

One useful practice is, once you have identified an accurate load, to take a piece of stainless wire and trim it to match the charge weight on your scales as they are reading it at that time. Keep it in a closed container to keep airborne oil and dust off of it. When you want to replicated that load, use this check weight to verify how your scales read it today. If it's not the same, you have the necessary adjustment from reading it.

Last edited:

Wreck-n-Crew

For the price My MTM has been as accurate as my beams and I use the beams to check them every so often. Between the powder measure being very accurate and the beams checking in on my MTM electronic scales (less than $40) I have had not issues with the scales.

Note: I use rechargeable batteries in most everything now.

Not saying I wouldn't spend more for a set of nice scales but they have to give me a better reason than the current satisfaction and accuracy I get with the MTM's. YMMV