Electronic scale question

Beacon Brass

I'm starting back into reloading and will be reloading .45acp, 9mm, .38/.357
.40 S&W in handguns 30-06, 30-30,.223 rifle and 12ga. shotgun. I would like some suggestions on a good electronic scale I have an old beam balance scale from years ago, but would like to upgrade. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
BB

Beacon Brass

I think the powder dispenser scales are probably out of my price range.
I'll probably go up to $100.00 maybe a little more.
bb

emcon5

Frankly, for reloading I don't consider an electronic scale an upgrade.

Electronic scales are very good at telling you how much something weighs, which is not all that important for most reloading.

Reloading, you want to make sure a bunch of things weigh a specific weight, something a beam scale does very well. You put the weight you want on the scale, and adjust the powder charge until it matches.

If you want to weigh all your cases and bullets and sort by weight, electronic is the way to go, but if all you are doing is weighing powder, save your money.

my 2¢

Rangefinder

if all you are doing is weighing powder, save your money.

Not entirely true. I have a beam scale, and used it for many years. But I also have a small electronic that is proving very handy. I use the electronic to maintain the consistancy of my measure--aout every third shuck I dump one on the scale to make sure it's pouring consistant. No bounce, no settling. When I get OCD on long-range loads it works great for dipping light and then trickling to the grain weight I want.

Just my 1 cent (after taxes). :D

rg1

I've had a Pact Precision digital scale for several years and wouldn't be without it. No problems at all. I have a Lyman check weight set and check the scale often but after 20-30 minutes warm-up and zero'd it's always been correct. Electronic scales do have some issues such as change in temperature, wind currents, vibration, electrical noise from appliances on the same circuit, voltage fluctuations, florescent light interference, but I've not had any problems. You do need the scale on a separate bench or solid table to isolate it from vibration from your press. I keep my balance beam for emergency but I trust my Pact scale. I haven't used any other electronic scale other than the Pact Precision (not BBK). If mine ever breaks I'll put in an emergency call to Pact for another.

Foxbat

"I think the powder dispenser scales are probably out of my price range.
I'll probably go up to $100.00 maybe a little more."

One recommendation in that case would be to start by buying the scale portion of the RCBS Charge Master. It is a great scale, one of the fastest and most accurate ones.

Then, at later date, you can buy the dispenser portion of it. You will end up paying just a bit more than it would cost you to buy the set outright.

Also, Midway sometimes has nice sales on them. Pay particular attention to the sales on 220V models!!!!!!!!! I bought one with $50 discount, and all I had to do was to give it a different wall power supply - might cost you a few bucks, I just had some lying around.

Christchild

There's a good electronic scale that'll run You about $300. It's the $300 price tag that's kept me from obtaining it, but it was suggested/recommended to me by a man with ALOT of knowledge, and I very much trust his word.

The Lyman 1000XP that I have, was great when it was new, but lately it requires CONSTANT rezeroing and recalibrating...I don't really trust it, but I'll check it with the Lee, should I use it.

I have a $20 Lee Safety Scale that only has a 100 grain capacity, but that little scale is accurate, sensitive and repeatable.

From reading reviews, the Hornady electronic scale seems to perform/last better than many, but that's just "hear-say" from reading others' comments.

But, to answer Your question, I don't know of a reasonably priced Electronic Scale that I'd recommend. The Lee that I have, was my first Beam Scale, and I truly wish I'd had it/used it 1st.

LHB1

Yes, a good electronic digital scale is quick and convenient but DO NOT get rid of your old beam balance. Electronic scales are subject to gremlins, i.e. fluorescent lights, voltage fluctuations, various shorts and internal failures that do not plague beam balances. The laws of physics are constant and beam balances are IMO more dependable than electronic scales. I like and use regularly a new RCBS 1500 gr digital scale but an old Lyman-Ohaus beam balance is my final arbiter if questions arise.

abber

I use an RCBS Rangemaster 750, and I love it. I would recommend a set of test weights to challenge it with. Not that I've ever had a problem, but I just feel better using a standard every now and again to prove that it is still on the money.

Foxbat

"Electronic scales are subject to gremlins"

ALL scales are subjects to gremlins... just different ones. Mechanical ones have their own sets.

Best advice is to have more than one on hands... doesn't matter electronic or mechanical.

BigJimP

I've been using the RCBS digital for several years / and its a good scale. I think these days / most, if not all the scales, are made by PACT.

Dillon sells theirs for about $ 140 / nothing wrong with it either - and I think they are all about the same price.

Cabellas sells the RCBS and Lyman for about $ 180 / and a smaller version for about $ 80.

LHB1

Quote: "ALL scales are subjects to gremlins... just different ones. Mechanical ones have their own sets."

True, but I find electrical gremlins in scales more difficult to correct than the simpler problems that typically occur with mechanical balance beam scales.

dmazur

I have one of the small RCBS electronic scales (made by PACT) and it was fine for many years. Now it requires constant recalibration and it is just too much trouble to mess with. I read that the load cell, or the epoxy used to mount it, can age and cause erratic readings. Apparently that's what is happening.

I haven't tossed it yet, but I got a RCBS 1010 to try out and, so far, this mechanical scale is just great. I'm using it to set up a powder measure, not to sort brass or bullets. It has a damped beam and it settles pretty quick.

The rotary weight is used to dial in 0.0gr to 9.9gr, and the main beam is notched in 10 gr increments, so it is fairly easy to use.

What I like most about it is the case that stores everything so it doesn't get dusty. A nylon or vinyl dustcover tossed over any mechanical scale would work as well, but this one protects the scale while disassembled. The parts can't hit each other, and the knife edges are protected. Neat.

So, you might consider a $100 mechanical scale. For this price, you get a clean, easy to use design and agate bearings.

Farmland

I was a new convert to a digital scale. To tell the truth it didn't come easy after all that balance beam has been a true friend. Today the balance beam hardly if ever comes off of the shelf.

I have the small Lyman and after double checking the reading with the beam I have come to the conclusion this is not necessary anymore.

I will recommend using a 120 for you normal power source, when the batteries get weak the readings can be off. Turn the scale on and let it warm up.

The scale is a blessing and it is fast and as reliable as the old balance beam.

I like my Lyman and I can recommend this one.

Here is another brand hat has gotten good reviews.
http:

//www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale.html

LHB1

Quote: "I haven't tossed it yet, but I got a RCBS 1010 to try out and, so far, this mechanical scale is just great. "

I agree. That RCBS 1010 scale is latest copy of the older Lyman-Ohaus mechanical beam scale that I've been using with great satisfaction since about 1968.