Electronic powder dispensers

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Those of you who own electronic powder dispensers, are they very accurate? How much of a deviation do you get from throw to throw?

I'm thinking about getting the RCBS model.

TIA

AndyTFL

Electronic powder dispenser

ST,

A bit of digression from your question, the electronic powder dispensers are "slow." Back on subject, I think they're very accurate since the scale tells the dispenser when to stop. I looked into them but opted for an accurate powder throw (i.e., Redding).

swifter...

My buddy got one. I spent an evening watch him experiment with it, and while it is surprisingly accurate, and reasonably quick, I don't want one. :D

If the damnable thing had a memory, so you could just sort of tell it: "Load # 4", and have it pump out say, 46.8 grains of H-4831, with the option to modify by a few tenths +/-, maybe.

As it is, there is too much time devoted to calibrating the beast EACH time, for EVERY powder and load. :barf:

I can get about the same results, for less $, with my measure set a bit light, and my electric trickler.

Vast projects, and half-vast opinions...:D
Tom

DAVID NANCARROW

Bought the RCBS powder thrower and scale-accuracy is very good (+ or - .1 grain) and will throw fast enough to keep up with a single stage press. Does well with stick, ball or flake powder. Has a trickle feature so you can add to a charge easily and a memory. PACT makes the product for RCBS, so watch the sales on either.

Gary H

I just picked up the scale and dispenser from Midway for $279.99. Can't help otherwise because I'm still putting my bench together and haven't yet purchased power. Works great for getting the sugar right in my coffee.;)

Charmedlyfe

I got the RCBS/PACT, and I'm very happy with the setup. As long as you zero the scale before you start throwing (and I always calibrate), you are usually <.1gr accuracy. I do not find it slow. As to calibrating the dispenser, I usually set that up first. While I'm getting everything else ready, It finishes, as is waiting on me.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people talk about 'not fast enough' with digital, but will use a slow single-stage press. The dispenser works with ALL powders. I don't trust ANY mechanical powder throw with anything except ball powder. By the time you trickle up a low throw, the dispenser is on the second charge.

Peter M. Eick

I really like my RCBS setup for rifle loads because I generally lovingly make each round. It is slow, but so am I so no problem.

I tried using fine ball powder in it for pistol loads. It just jammed it up.

For IMR's 4895 and 4064 (my 308 powders) it is within a 10th every round as fast as I can queue up the next case.

I would NEVER go back to dumped charges for rifle.