Electronic earmuffs: What's good about em'?

dajowi

Been using regular shooting muffs but recently have had to use both the muffs and earplugs during indoor shooting sessions.

Looking for opinions by those who use them and suggestions on which brands I should look at.

Thanks!

TXAZ

You can talk without yelling is the biggest + to me.
I tried numerous models, and it seems to be more of a fit preference to me, as everyone's head and ears are different.
Not ducking your question, but what I found was the cheap (under $100~) generally did not seal as well nor did they muffle shots as well.

Pro Ears are good but pricey, but what are you ears worth?

wogpotter

What you seem to be looking for is a higher noise reduction. If that's the case then electronic muffs won't do what you want, looking for the highest NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) would seem to be the way to go.

Having said that I switched from passive to active electronics a while back & I like the fact that they allow normal conversation & hearing while still working as a muff. That is the big advantage, better hearing & comms without removal, not better noise reduction.

I have the Peltor's, which came highly recommended. Unfortunately I don't share that preference. If I replace them it will be with a different brand.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I picked up an "open box special" (1/2 price) on a pair of these about a year ago, and I've been pretty happy with them.

The biggest plus is that you can talk without shouting, and still have your hearing protected, in case someone nearby shoots.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Your best bet with electronic muffs is to wear foam plugs under them. The amplification allows you to still hear and you get much better protection. I use the Caldwell set you can get at Dick's for about $30. They work quite well.

I've also used the Walker's hearing aid style that cost upwards of $350. They work REALLY well.

Also had a Radians set that cost about $115. They were the worst I've used. Too much static and stupid auto-off. Very bad for hunting.

billvau

I use Pro-ear electronic muffs as well as foam plugs. The plugs add another 30 DB or so noise reduction. They allow me to hear conversation and protect my hearing quite well.

Daffy

Already have some hearing loss. (child of the 60's and an equipment operator) Not even sure of the brand I bought at the LGS. They work fine for me outdoors, I don't use them at the indoor range because common sense tells me not to. My only criticism would be battery life, even though they performed well as protection without being on...

Mike1234

In pro audio it's called "compansion" (sound compression combined with expansion). Low level signals are amplified while high level signals are compressed. This allows hearing of quiet whispers while greatly subduing damaging high level audio spikes. In high quality home audio this is a bad thing but in hunting or other shooting situations it's the best of both worlds.

Top Gun Supply

For me, the ability to easily hear what is going on around me and being able to communicate with another person is the greatest appeal of electronic hearing muffs. I really like them!

JimDandy

My Uncle has a pheasant preserve, and his side yard has been turned into a trap field for his hunters and the local high school trap teams. I stood on his trap field, wearing my electronic muffs, and had a devil of a time identifying the squeak I kept hearing. Turns out it was a small windmill in the farm field across the road. I couldn't hear that WITHOUT the ear muffs, and now I could with them AND shooting.