Electroless Nickel?

Jeff Thomas

Just noticed over the weekend that some Kahr's came with this finish, at a small premium price. I'm not familiar with it, and wonder what its reputation is for durability, etc.?

Thanks. Regards from AZ

B Shipley

I just got some mags done in this finish. It was cheap ($50 minimum at the shop, which covered 10 mags). I think it is better than standard nickel, but I can't say that I really like it. I got it b/c hard chrome wasn't practical for what I needed. Hard Chrome and Stainless strike me as better choices. Also, I think they are more durable. The e.less nickel appears to go on with no buildup and stamped words seem very sharp.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
This was fairly new some 20 years back. It was a relatively inexpensive way to dress up a gun's looks, and improve its resistance to rust.

I have a Lightweight Commander whose frame was plated with electroless nickel in 1981. I carried it nightly with no holster, for over a year. No rust problems...

FWIW, Art

Mark King

Jeff, I have one of those early model Kahr K9s with the electroless nickle finish. When I purchaed my example, the retailer had it at the same price of the matte blue gun. While it's much better at resisting rust thatn the blued gun I have seen some oxydation on my gun. I noticed some rust and slight pitting under the left grip panel. I usually carry IWB with the left side of the gun against my body. My gun also has quite a bit of holster wear near the muzzle, but no noticable rust. I'm thinking of having the gun refinished in one of the new teflon based finishes, such as Black-T or Rouguard. I've had good results with Rouguard in the past and am leaning toward this finish. Mark / Fl

Jeff Thomas

Mark, thanks.

Also, check out Robar's NP3 finish - it's a light, matte silver in appearance, and is supposed to be even more durable than Roguard. They can do a nice two-tone job, with Roguard on the slide, and the rest (including internals) in NP3 - as I recall, this was about $225 for the entire sidearm, including one mag. Looks very sharp, but I think the NP3 wears better than the Roguard.

Regards from AZ

Mark King

Jeff, I like my carry guns to be BLACK! I'll probably have all the externals finished in Rouguard and the internals done in NP3. This would be similar to the finish I had done to my Lightweight Officer's ACP. The NP3 on the internals caused the trigger pull to feel about a pound lighter than it was before refinishing. I expect with NP3 on the internals, the already great trigger pull on the Kahr would be even better. Mark / FL