Eig Italian revolver

Bill DeShivs

Here's one for the experts-
Who made it for Eig? There weren't many Italian revolver makers in the early 1960s. My guess is Bernardelli, but I can find no mention of them producing a .38, only .22 & .32s. The only clue is the marking in front of the serial number.
The marking is not that of Bernardelli. It could be "GLB."
The gun is a copy of the S&W model 36. Frame is cast, but I can't tell if it's steel or cast iron. Grip is slightly smaller than the S&W. Though the finish is rudimentary, the gun is suprisingly well made.

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

Last edited:

Winchester_73

I don't know the answer to the question

BUT

I would like to comment on how the revolver is an EXACT copy (at least on the outside) of a mid 60s S&W 36 chief's special when they had the diamond grips AND the the flat latch. Amazing how even the copy has a flat latch and the diamond on the grips.

I would suspect based on the features, that this revolver copied the S&W when the S&W shared the same features. IIRC, the flat latch and diamond grips were both done by 1966 to 1968.

One thing is for sure, when you're going to make an exact copy, copy the best! ;)

Bill DeShivs

Yes, its very close.
Inside is basically the same as the S&W with minor changes.
It's a cute little gun. I'll probably use it with mid-range wadcutters.

Bill DeShivs

DMMikey,
No, there is definitely a "B" inside what appears to be a "G." The "B" has a horizontal line from the extended upright of the letter-perhaps making it a stylized "L."

RJay

Bill, this Italian clone of a S&W 36 has come up before on other forums over the past few years. No one seems to know who or just when it was made. The is no clue to the maker in any of my books or references. In all the postings I've seen, it is basically a mystery gun, the only clue is Made in Italy. I have always been curious about it. I feel the best bet was the one company that had all of its equipment still working and that was Beretta, but there is no proof or documentation for that,, just an ideal, remember Italy was still desperate for capital in the early 60's.But it could have just as well been made by one of the other makers. If you find out anything, please make sure you post it:)

gyvel

I checked my Mathews and there are a couple of Eig revolvers shown.

Your exact revolver is illustrated, s/n A12598, and is listed as being imported from Italy by Eig Corporation, Miami, FL, but he also states that the Eig imports' manufacturer is unknown.

There is another EIG .32 revolver shown that resembles an H&R swingout cylinder model that used a pull pin release.

Eig was an import company in Miami in the 60s. If I recall they also imported Titan .25s, derringers and cheap pot metal blank guns from Italy. It was founded by Saul Eig, an importer, who incorporated the import company as Eig Cutlery in 1966. In 1971, Eig Cutlery became FIE, also in Miami, FL.

Bernardelli's trademark entailed a picture of a swan, so I don't think it was made by them, nor Beretta. My best (uneducated) guess is that they came from a lesser company which has probably long since gone under or was bought up by another major company.

It is also a possibility that the revolvers were made by Fabrica d'Armi Tanfoglio Giuseppe, the predecessor of Fratelli Tanfoglio, since FATG was the manufacturer of the Eig Titans.

Last edited:

DMMikey

Sorry, Bill, I was looking at the marking on the sideplate, which sort of looks like a C and a G inside of a circle. I thought the other mark was more of a proof mark or something else. And Like I said, I was way off base anyway. I did do a little bit of reading on the history of gunmaking in Italy, and there is just a huge number of tiny factories located in a couple of small cities. There is the legend that Marco Polo brought gunpowder back to Italy from the orient. Gun making in Italy obviously goes back a ways and is a much larger industry than I realized.

Bill DeShivs

Gyvel-
Eig imported knives and guns in the middle 1950s, actually. He may have incorporated his business in the 1960s.
Many of his guns were made by Rohm in Germany. He also imported an Italian-made copy of the Mossberg Brownie.
That stamp has got to belong to somebody!
The gun is of better than average Italian quality for the period, and this is why I'm looking for provenance. It's on par with the Japanese Miroku revolvers.
Thanks for everyone's input!
I'm still searching......

kadima

I took the liberty to repost the pictures on the main Italian guns forum. In a couple of days I should have some answers hopefully. Unless the brand is one made uniquely for export someone should recognize it.

K.