educate me, Savage 7mm

headbangerJD

My brother just became the new owner of a Savage 7mm with a scope. Neither of us know anything about this rifle. I would like to get some opinions from other owners/previous owners about this rifle (uses, effectiveness of 7mm cartridge, overall feelings about the gun).

Thanks Everyone

Jd

Jimro

7-08 Rem, 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem Mag? There are a lot of 7mm hunting rounds out there.

But all of them will kill anything in North America if you place your shots right. Wouldn't be my first choice for big Bear, but it's hard to pack a Barret M82....

Jimro

Rangefinder

Been using a 7mm Rem Mag my whole life. Very effective caliber, and my personal favorite--but I AM a little bias on the topic. ;)

Grainraiser

I just purchased a used 7mm rem mag for hog hunting. It is a little more gun that I need but the price was to good to pass up. It is the next popular caliber up from a 30-06 and will take any game in North America. Mine's has a little more recoil than I am use to so I think I will with a recoil pad and managed recoil ammo for hog hunting. Like stated there are many 7mm rounds so you really need to be more specific.

coltaholic

7mm

I have a Savage rifle in 7mm mag that i let folks use when i take them hunting. Many are youngsters, so I had a muzzle brake installed and a new recoil pad. The gun shoots 1/2 in groups all day, recoil is soft, and it is now my wife's favorite gun. The Savage is probably the best gun for the money out there.

TheNatureBoy

I own a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero and have been hand loading for it for about a year now. I'm very happy with it. Its a little on the heavy side but I don't mind. The extra weight absorbs recoil therefore I can shoot 150-180gr bullets with no problem. I think your friend will be very happy with his Savage.