Educate me on a good 223 AR type rifle.

NCHornet

I have a large collection of hunting rifles, Mini 14's and AK's, lots of handguns and shotguns, but I have always wanted a AR15 type rifle. I have been out of the gun loop for about 10 years due to illness. It seems everybody and their brother are making these types of rifles nowadays. What should I be looking for? What should I stay away from? Can you still find AR15's floating around? Any problem aquiring them without a special license? I know companies like Bushmaster make a good product, but I would appreciate some good advice as I see a huge price spread from $500-$2,000. I appreciate any help y'all can give me.
Thanks
NCHornet

USMCG_HMX1

What it really boils down to is you.

What do you want? What do you want to do with it? Do you want a plinker, a tack driver, or something in between?

On the cheap, DPMS makes a plinker model for around 700 bucks.

For my Bushmaster A2 Target model I paid $922 out the door, but for the M4 style I would have spent 500 bucks more.

If you're leaning towards quality, all AR's are superb across all of the manufacturers. For a long time DPMS had a really bad rep, but they've fixed those issues and make a quality gun now. I've personally shot DPMS, Rock River, Colts (in the Marine Corps), Bushmaster, and Olympic. All of these are fantastic.

If you're looking for a varmint gun/tack driver, all of the above can and do make them, as do Les Baer, Stag, and all the other manufacturers. This is where you'll see the increase in price start to shoot upwards quickly simply due to paying for the better fit, better barrel (match grade, free floated, etc.), match grade trigger, and the optional bipod and optics.

If you want a decent all-around weapon and don't want to spend alot of money, look for the A2 or A3 HBAR (heavy barrel) from Rock River Arms. The A2 comes with iron sights like the M16-A2, and the A3 has the Pictinny rail. You can at that point swap out the stock for a collapsable one and add both optics and a bipod later on.

I would recommend for your first AR to get a Rock River for the lifetime warranty.

The M4 versions generally will cost more than the full length, so if that's the route you want to go just keep that in mind (and it takes some of the money away from good optics if your limit is 2 grand).

Kris

Stag Arms makes the best bang for the buck, you can get one for about $750.

CMT (the parent company for Stag) makes most of the parts for many companies such as RRA, Colt, and S&W, etc...

NCHornet

Thanks for the info y'all. I don't see a gun like this used for anything but plinking. Surely not a hunting weapon, not that it can't kill game, but I have other rifles for that. I want a good quality target rifle. I saw a AR15 Sporter in the 4sale section, this is my dream gun, I just love the looks of that gun and the 223 is a blast to shoot. I want something that is going to last that I can hand down to my son. Put it this way, in revolvers, between a Tarus and a S&W I will always choose the S&W. So are the AR15 sporters made by Colt a good gun? I have always felt they were, I have shot them a few times and never had a failure with them. What is one of these worth in good to LNIB condition, and which of these other companies makes a equivilant weapon. Thanks so much for the advice y'all.

I bought mine for primarily self defense, but I hunt plenty of varmints with it.

Also, anyone who'se hunted whitetail with one will tell you that shot placement and bullet selection is key, but it can be and is done w/o problems.

NCHornet

I never said they couldn't be used for hunting, but as I said I have hunting rifles for that. Maybe a coyote would be fun, but for deer I will take my Muzzleloader or my 7mm mag.
What about the AR15 Sporter, good or bad and what is a fair price? Is there something else just as good for less money. I am looking into the brands above.
Is it better to buy one all assembled or is it better to by components and assemble yourself?
Thanks

Abstract

When I bought my AR (Bushmaster), Rock River wasn't an option. If I were buyng new today, I'd go with Rock River Arms, but I'd opt for the chrome-lined barrel. I use my AR for "playing." I can't envision a scenario where I'd have the AR handy for s.d. purposes.

rangermonroe

Build one!

If you want a plinker, buy a parts kit from a reputable dealer. Buy a lower, whatever brand makes you happy.

Later on, when you decide that you want a 6.8, 50 Beowolf, 50 BMg, or a .204 ruger...you only have to swap uppers. No FFL required. :)

Beware, it is addicting.

Stay with the big name manufacturers...

Then pick the emblom that you like the most:D, you can't go wrong that way! I ended up with a Bushmster, then a Rock River receiver on a Model 1 kit pistol:) ...

Still 2 Many Choices!?

Andrew LB

..... man I hate living in Kalifornia. :mad: You guys get all the cool toys!

If i was just a couple years older, i could have bought an AR15 before they banned them here. What really sucks is you cannot pass a pre-ban AR15 on to your children when you get old. Your only options here are to turn them in to have them destroyed or i may be wrong on this one.... sell it out of state?

Either that or a decade or so in a lovely Kalifornia prison.

FS2K

Hey Hornet!

For your original question.

Insist on FORGED recievers. None of the large manefacturers are selling new AR's with cast recievers now, but if you were to find a nice used one, make sure it has FORGED recievers. Cast recievers of the past had the potential of cracking, something forged recievers aren't prone to do.

A 5.56mm X 45mm chambered barrel can use both that caliber and .223 Remington. It's nice to have the option of shooting both in case you come across some good deals on surplus ammo.

Chrome lined barrels offer easier maintainence and barrel life. Easy to keep clean and shooting well. :)

Some other things you may want to consider are:

If considering a Carbine, some manefacturers offer "M4" cut feed ramps. They aren't a nessesity, but a added bonus if you get them. Helps with positive feeding.

If considering using any type of optic device, I suggest getting an A3 configuration AR15. The removable carry handle will offer you the greatest amount of mounting options for your sights.

I have the most experience with Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, and STAG arms for my personal weapons, and have shot Colt's, Olympic Arms and DPMS in the past. It seems like the greatest price differences have to do with accessories and brand names. But everyones "Base" model shoots and looks about the same these days, including Olympic Arms.

Hope this helped.