Ed's Red and Glocks

flintlock.50

I'm new to using Ed's Red for gun cleaning and I like it. I've been careful to keep it off any wood because the acetone in Ed's Red can damage wood finishes. But what about synthetic stocks or the polymer parts of a Glock? Anyone know whether Ed's Red is OK on a Glock or other polymer parts (like on an AR)?

Thanks

Nakanokalronin

I wouldn't use something that strong on any type of plastic. If you do, I'd wipe it completely off ASAP. Plastic parts usually clean off easily with something as light as Rem-Oil.

Could you post the Recipe for Eds Red? I'm using a home brew (similar to eds red) Just curious what the original recipe is.

flintlock.50

Some folks omit the acetone. Acetone is highly volatile and needs good ventilation when in use. Per Ed Harris, the stuff works without the acetone but it takes longer.

Mostly I use it on metal parts and wipe it off quickly if it gets anywhere else. But I'd really like to know if it's a no-no on Glock polymer.

NWPilgrim

I have two versions of Ed's Red, one with and one without the acetone. I only use the acetone version when cleaning the barrel, which is removed from the pistol so it does not come in contact with the plastic frame. Nothing in the frame or slide (trigger, springs, latch, slide rails, etc) need the stronger version with acetone.

g.willikers

The one polymer pistol that I have, (not a Glock), seems immune to damage from all cleaners and solvents, including the ingredients of Ed's Red.
Except for the acetone.
I've never used the acetone, can't stand the noxious odor.
Although it's about the only thing that cleans carbon arrows well enough for the fletching to stick.

BuckRub

Probably good stuff but never used it. I use ProShot. Cleans good and as a lubricant as well. It only costs $8.00 a bottle and takes me about 5 years to use up. And I clean alot of guns and often.