• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Edit grace period

Status
Not open for further replies.

grymster2007

I know there's something like a four day grace period for editing one's posts, but it seems to me there's a shorter period during which one may edit their posts without the fact that they have been edited, displayed in the post.

Is that the case? What is the specific time period?

Always nice to have an opportunity to look less stupid, without having everyone wonder just how much stupider I may have been. :)

Evan Thomas

It's a good thing the grace periods aren't longer. I'd dink around forever.

But I just learned something from a quick look at the FAQ on this subject:

If the edit time and date appear as a link you can click on this to see the differences between the original and edited versions, or between edits if there have been multiple edits.

Gads. There's no privacy, even.

Last edited:

Mal H

Staff
I haven't tested that thoroughly, Vanya, but I believe only you (and the mods) can view the changes in your own posts.

I thought it was 24hrs. from the time you originally post. That's my guess. If there was a vote, unlikely as it would be, mine would be for 48hrs.

Mal H

Staff
For which aspect, Tuttle8, the ability to edit a post or the time limit for an anonymous edit, for lack of a better term?

B. Lahey is correct on the latter, you have 5 minutes to edit before the "Edited by ..." is added to the post. It used to be 20 minutes, but was changed about 6 months ago. Does that time limit really affect anything other than telling others that you have edited something. It's hardly a stigma.

grymster2007

5 minutes is OK for anonymous editing, but a little longer might be better. Don't know how readily changed that is in this forum package. I guess I could hack the site.... but don't worry, I'd probably just do things like add the appropriate spaces to WA's siglines and swap Glenn's musings with those of hogdogs :)

Sorry, Mal. I failed to comprehend a simple question from the OP. It didn't sink in on the context of anonymous editing. Guess I never even knew this was a feature. I always thought once you edit, it's shown as such you did to everybody...

I honestly don't care if my editing is public or not. If I didn't catch my mistake, so be it if it's public. Nobody's perfect...

Mal H

Staff
Gotcha. The time limit for editing of posts isn't 24 or even 48 hours, it's 96 hours as grymster2007 surmised in the OP.

Evan Thomas

I guess I could hack the site.... but don't worry, I'd probably just do things like ... swap Glenn's musings with those of hogdogs

Great idea, Grym! Could you set it up so that would happen automatically?? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.