Edged weapons vs firearms

simonov jr

I know that many police officers carry a knife along with their duty and backup firearms, as do many armed civilians (probably for some of the same tactical reasons). Which leads me to ask: Is defending ones self or loved ones with a knife or other edged weapon any more or less permissable under the law than if one had used a firearm in the same circumstances? If you employed deadly force with a knife, do you think you would experience a different presumption of guilt or innocence as to whether your actions constituted justifiable homicide? Would you be more likely to face arrest and prosecution? Incidentally, do CCW's generally cover the carrying of edged weapons, or are they likely to fall outside the realm of legal concealed carry? I'd appreciate any relevant experiences and/or knowledgeable opinions...

rwilson452

knives doe SD

Laws very so much from state to state it's not possible to give an overall answer. as to what is legal. Altho one would think that one form of deadly force would be treated the same as another. it's more about preception than the law in a number of places.

1006smith

In Texas, we still have laws against some edged weapons. The CCW does not cover edged weapons. A homicide would be referred to a grand jury which is a group of citizens who determine if prosecution is warranted. If a trial is warranted you would be judged by a jury. It's hard to say what people will think on any given day.

As an example, I have seen a DWI conviction with no breath test, no field sobriety tests, and no video. Only the arresting officer's testimony. I have also seen a DWI acquittal with a video tape of the suspect vehicle almost hitting another vehicle, failed field sobriety tests on tape where the suspect could not stand w/o support, a breath tests of 0.181 and 0.180 (legal limit is0.08), and a faked heart attack on tape. Again, it's hard to say what a jury will think.

Chuck

The Real Wyatt

In Kentucky your concealed carry permit covers almost every deadly weapon.

From the Kentucky State Police website:
What weapons are covered under the CCDW permit?
Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.

Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.

Billy, nightstick, or club.

Blackjack or slapjack.

Nunchaku karate sticks.

Shiriken or death star.

Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.

Prophet

The teacher of my CHL class said that police are more apt to shoot a BG with a knife then a BG with a gun. Because someone that their choice is a knife for the crime is considered more a heinous crime if you are willing to get upclose and person with the person and actually cut them So I think you'd go to jail faster if you used a knife rather than a gun.

revjen45

I'm not LEO, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn, but as I understand LEOs usually carry a knife to cut seatbelts in order to get people out of wrecks. Most people with good sense would prefer 2 handguns to a knife of any sort for responding to violent threat but quartering and coring an apple is kind of difficult with a .45. I usually carry 1 or 2 handguns, but my employer bans firearms on the premises including the parking lot, so all I can do is pack a pocket knife at work or en route. Using a knife is likely to leave some pretty gruesome results- there's no way to cut somebody up bad enough to get him off you without making a bloody mess. The persecuting shysters office will use this to make you look like a raving psychopath, but they will do the same thing if you dump the magazine into some crackhead's chest while he demands your wallet at knifepoint. I am an instructor for the NRA class in personal protection, which has input from a lawyer and/or a cop. The cop will tell you to do whatever you have to to save yourself; the lawyer will tell you that whatever you do you're screwed.

dfaugh

Most any one I know, that carries a knife (including LEOs) don't do it as a defensive (or even offensive weapon)....Its just handy to have on your person. I'f I'm close enough to use a knife, then I'm close enough to do other serious damage (I studied martial arts for years, also taught self-defnce classes).

Game Getter

WARNING!!! Explicit photos ... Officer assaulted with a knife.
The photos are of an officer trained in hand-to-hand combat.
The officer figured, due to his size and fighting skills, he could disarm a knife wielding aggressor.

To all the idiots out there who always say, "Why did the cops have to shoot him? He only had a (insert your choice of weapons here, i.e. knife, bat, club. whatever). He didn't have to be shot.
To that, I respond, "tough crap ... shoot'em".
If an officer tells you to drop your weapon, just drop it. If you're a retard, stupid, on crack, mental or just "scared" ... too bad. No one deserves what this cop got for just doing his job. This is vivid proof of how deadly people who are "only armed with a knife" can be. Some of the public think that officers should try to disarm someone armed with a knife but anyone who has had training in knife fighting will tell you - even if you win you are going to get cut.
Keep this in the back of your mind when confronting someone armed with an edged weapon.
Be forewarned, photos are graphic.

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/339/07/ATT000671165409207.jpg

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/339/07/ATT000731165409304.jpg

Reverences and pictures by,
James M. Wright
Police Accreditation and
Policy Professionals

Last edited:

gunslinger555

OMG dude!!! I USED to think that cops could have used another weapon in alot of cases, now after seeing those pictures Ive changed my opinion on that. wow. And a knife can go through a bullet proof vest.

nkielborn

ballestic vest arent made to stop knives thats why cops in london have special vest considering u can stab someone wearing a ballastic vest. kives have tons of reasons to carry for LEO. I know more than a few LEO's who carry them for a lot of purposes. in california i believe your allowed to carry a knife on you at all times long as it is shorter than the plam of your hand.

JJB2

i gotta agree game getter..... he should have shot his a$$ before sustaining all that injury........ i have always been of the thought that you don't bring a knife to a gun fight!

I HAVE KIDNAPPED MYSELF...... SEND ME $1000 OR YOU'LL NEVER HEAR FROM ME AGAIN!!!!!............................

Game Getter

Guys and Gals ,

I'm sorry about the way the pictures showed on my post earlier..
It was suppose to be a link,, not show on the posting..
I made the correction so it's now a link and not showing outright....

If I offended anyone, Please accept my apoligeis...

Tony

skeeter1

I do have one small (4") Italian stilletto switch-blade, but it never leaves the house. I don't know where it would be legal or not.

I do have one 2" lock-blade that I sometimes drop into my pocket for opening boxes. My attorney friend tells me that's probably OK.