Edge vs. EW

taylorce1

I recently put a .30-06 FWT into an McMillan Hunters Edge inlet for FWT barrel and blind mag, and recently purchased a lightly used EW in .270 Win. Hands down I love the feel of the Edge much better. The B&C just feels kind of like a club compared to the svelteness of the Mickey. I guess the real proof is which will be more enjoyable to shoot.

Here is some pictures for comparison:

P1000581.jpg

P1000580.jpg

Last edited:

hooligan1

My self I like a little sleeker grip,(it feels like my hand is big enough to hold the rifle steady) and it makes for better trigger work for me, so I'm with you I like the Edge over the B&C, but what's the weight difference amount to? And which stock has a better factory bed? Are they both floated? Which cost more? and how much more?
Sorry Taylorce1, but these things are important to a fella.:eek:

taylorce1

Paid $650 for the M70 FWT, the Mickey cost $375 (used), dropped it off at a local Smith for a $150 full length bedding job with pillars. EW rifle cost $800 only factory bedding job and is free floated. So yes the Edge rifle is quite a bit more expensive, but if I were buying a stock for a rifle I already had I'd spend the money to upgrade to a McMillan before I bought the B&C the EW wears. Difference in weight is the M70 with the Edge and Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 weighs 7.5 lbs the same as the EW without a scope.

jmr40

McMillan Edge stocks are expenive, but well worth the expense. I found this 1994 production SS Classic 30-06 still new in the box for $700 OTD in May. I came home and checked McMillan's website and found this Edge stock listed on their Specials page for $475 shipped. Total cost, $1175 including all shipping and taxes. That is about what a EW will sell for after taxes. The Edge stock is 1/2 lb lighter and shoots much better. This one comes in t 7.5 lbs with a Leupold VX-2 LRD and Talley lightweight mounts.

003-6.jpg

These are the 1st 3 shots @ 100 yards just trying to get it on paper.

targets009.jpg

hooligan1

Man I got to stay away from you two fellas, you already got my mind racin with those stocks, Now I want a Winchester!:)

taylorce1

Man I got to stay away from you two fellas, you already got my mind racin with those stocks, Now I want a Winchester!

I like the Winchester a lot, but you can put an Edge on a Savage if you want too.

hooligan1

Believe me, I'm pondering which one rifle would I do that to. I have plenty of Savages and a Weatherby, but I like the stocks their wearing now........ kind of.........:confused::eek:

taylorce1

Found my fish scales today after I pulled some boxes out of storage. I weighed both rifles and it is surprising the difference between the two.

M70 with Edge weighed in at 7lb 11oz with sling and 5 rounds of 165 grain ammunition. It weighed 7lb 1oz with just the scope I didn't bother to weigh the EW naked though.

M70 EW weighed in at 9lb 8oz with the same sling and 5 rounds of 130 grain ammunition. I could probably take off 8+ ounces of weight just by adding some Talley LWT mounts and removing the Warne rings and Weaver GS bases and putting a Leupold 3-9X40 VXII on it as well.