Ed Brown Special forces vs. Springfield TRP

Greg Bell

Hey guys,

I was thinking about buying another 1911 for range and possible carry. I was thinking about an Ed Brown Special forces, but then I saw a Springfield TRP and it seemed nice too. What is the real advantage of the Ed Brown over the springfield. Obviously, the Springfield has a mag well and forward cocking serrations (which I hate), but other than that?

Zombie Steve

If I'm reading between the lines correctly on the respective websites, the Ed Brown is still a truely custom gun. The Springer is a production gun.
IMHO, you are getting into territory where the differences in performance are pretty slim. Both are going to be great 1911's. I'd guess the TRP is going to be a better value, but the Ed Brown is going to be the higher quality gun.
Again, just a guess because I don't own either. I just bought a production Kimber, and I'm really impressed with the performance as well as fit and finish. 1911's have come a loooong way since I last bought one 12 years ago...

You could always flip a coin.
Good luck!

abarth

Ed Brown, hand fits every parts. Springfield, if you are talking about the non-custom shop TRP then it is a production pistol with some hand fitting and lot of MIM parts. I think Ed Brown also come with a accuracy guarantee. The mag well is two piece, so you can either replace the MSH or unscrew the mag well.

Rob96

TRP Operators do get some Custom Shop work, regular Operators do not.

Negative. TRP's are a production gun from the production line that get a little extra attention. The Ed Brown would be classified as a semi-custom production as you buy it how it's done. For something comparative to the Ed Brown, but being closer to a custom is the Springfield Custom Carry from the Custom Shop. It features many of the specs of the Pro, but you can specify changes. Price is $1695. I would personally go the Custom Carry route.

Fremmer

I'd go with the Brown just because it's something different that you don't see very often. Ed Brown makes good guns. It'll hold value pretty well. I like the chainlink on it. And this, too:

"Commander style" slotted and chamfered hammer mated precisely with Ed Brown Perfection sear and Perfection disconnector. We are the only makers who fully machine each of these critical parts from the highest quality alloy bar stock steel, making for a light trigger pull and crisp break which will last for thousands of rounds.

No MIM parts, and I like the absence of front slide serrations.

Ed Brown parts are well-made; I use them in my Kimber.

Kermit

Yes, both are nice / very nice examples of 1911s but they are very diff't from each other too. One (the Brown) is more of a custom gun while the SA TRP is more of a production gun.
If I had to make this decision for myself, I'd probably go w/ the refinement & sophistication of the Brown :cool:

sholling

I'm looking at adding a new 1911 to my small collection next year and I'd add the S&W Performance Center PC1911s to the line up as well. The S&W fits my hand better because it allows my middle finger to sit higher than the TRP. It's also a truly hand fitted pistol.

auto45

If it were me, I'd compare to the Springfield "Custom Carry" models or similiar which is the same price range as the EB, or less actually!

And, you have a choice of no front serrations, options, etc.

KyJim

I wanted to take a step up from the good production line 1911s and have chosen the Ed Brown Special Forces. I hope to actually get it in a couple of weeks. One of the things that really impressed me is Ed Brown's reputation for out of the box functioning (with maybe a little break in period). I have not shot the TRP.

My reasoning is completely different than the opinions on this so far:

I see that you want it for possible carry. This statement is what separates one from the other...

My answer is the TRP. Why? Well, what if, God forbid, you have to use it for self defense. Your firearm will most likely be confiscated until further notice from the police. If the incident goes to court, your gun is now a piece of evidence. Moreover, you may not get your gun back, much less the same condition as when you surrendered it.

This unlikely yet possible scenario would let me stomach not seeing a TRP anymore compared to a small company that puts heart into making their firearms....

Just a thought...

ranburr

My reasoning is completely different than the opinions on this so far:

I see that you want it for possible carry. This statement is what separates one from the other...

My answer is the TRP. Why? Well, what if, God forbid, you have to use it for self defense. Your firearm will most likely be confiscated until further notice from the police. If the incident goes to court, your gun is now a piece of evidence. Moreover, you may not get your gun back, much less the same condition as when you surrendered it.

This unlikely yet possible scenario would let me stomach not seeing a TRP anymore compared to a small company that puts heart into making their firearms....

Just a thought...

I have always thought that this is the most ridiculous arguement that I have ever heard. It gets brought up all the time. Personally, I want the best gun money can buy defending me and my property. If a pistols saves my ass, the police can have it. I can always get another. Having said that; (unless you live in a very restrictive area), you will get your gun back in the case of a justified shooting.

IanS

I have always thought that this is the most ridiculous arguement that I have ever heard. It gets brought up all the time. Personally, I want the best gun money can buy defending me and my property. If a pistols saves my ass, the police can have it. I can always get another. Having said that; (unless you live in a very restrictive area), you will get your gun back in the case of a justified shooting.

+1 In that moment when my own life or the lives of my loved ones are in danger I will want my best/favorite weapon in my hand.

(Some people are WAY too attached to their guns)

RsqVet

Take the Brown, I own one and it's exellent. In fact it's ahrd to imagine what more one could want form a 1911 and I'd put it up against guns costing much more.

The TRP is and always will be a spiffed up production gun, frame made off shore etc, the Brown is built up "to spec" and well fitted. Not that springfield can't make a decent gun but it's kind of apples and oranges here, like comparing a nice production harley to the work of a true custom shop bike.

Having said that; (unless you live in a very restrictive area), you will get your gun back in the case of a justified shooting.

And you just applied in parenthesis what my statement supports. I'm not saying everytime one has to defend oneself, he/she will never see the light of day of the gun. Most likely one will get their gun back, IF you live in a gun friendly area. All I'm saying is that both guns are just as reliable as the other. In this parameter, why assume the risk of not ever getting a full custom pistol back when a quality production gun could have been used instead?

Call it the most rediculous argument you've ever heard. That's fine. But, you really think my statement is worse than a typical Glock vs. XD, 9 vs. 45 threads?:confused:

What in the world would we ever do to effectively defend ourselves if it weren't for $2000-$6000 1911s?:rolleyes:

The Body Bagger

Get the Ed Brown for all the reasons stated above. One thing not to take into consideration is the possibility of having your gun taken from you in a shooting situation. The last thing that should enter your mind in a life and death situation should be, "oh the police may take this gun from me....."