Economical Alternative to "Gun Scrubber"?

ScottRiqui

I like the way Gun Scrubber works (blasting away dirt/grime then evaporating instantly to leave a clean, dry gun), but the price is getting ridiculous.

I've heard mention here of using aerosol carburetor cleaner or brake part cleaner from the auto parts store, but I can't recall if specific brands were named.

Can anyone give me some guidance? Also, are any of the alternatives safe for polymer pistols / synthetic parts?

The Gun Scrubber I bought yesterday was $17 for a 26-ounce can of the regular stuff, and $13 for a 13-ounce can of the synthetic-safe version (interestingly, both cans were the exact same size, even with the 13-ounce difference.)

Thanks,
Scott

ScottRiqui

Thanks - any idea if that would be one of the "polymer safe" alternatives? Looking at the data sheet, it's recommended for circuit boards and it doesn't have any chlorinated solvents, so it can't be too bad.

wogpotter

It doesn't effect the composite grips, hand guards or stock on my FAL, or my Butler Creek synthetic stock on the 10/22, so I'm guessing it is fine as the main ingredient is alcohol.
Test with a Q-tip full on a concealed area to be sure though. There are lots of different plastics.:)