EBR Build

'88Scrat

Hi all, this is my very first post and after creeping around on the forums for a while decided to just ask for your help; you guys seem to be about the most knowledgable firearm forum around.:cool:

I would like to know your guys's thoughts on the best way to build an M1A EBR and was wondering if it can be done for about $2,500.

It would primarily be for target shooting. I have always wanted to really "build" a rifle and a couple friends of mine have "built" AR-15s but I wanted something different (AR-15s are GREAT but seems like everybody and their dog has one) and I wanted something that I could use to hunt deer with if I so chose.

I thought about just getting a bone stock M1A but I like like the idea of being able to REALLY tacticool it out (You know; optic, bipod, light, laser, can opener, and kitchen sink :D) if I want in the future but for now will probably just go with iron sights and a bipod.

Thoughts/Opinons?

Thanks in advance by the way.

cptbhern

Yes you can build one for around $2,500.
That is what I have in my Socom 16 EBR,including the Basset scope mount,Nikon ProStaff scope and Harris bipod.
It is very accurate,loud and very fun to shoot!

Attachments

• 100_0166 (2).jpg
    100_0166 (2).jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 100_0167 (2).jpg
    100_0167 (2).jpg
    152 KB · Views: 182

cptbhern

Thanks!

I got the EBR chasis from Clyde Armory...the only place to get the Navy Seal Grey.
They do come in black or tan also.
I went with the Seal Grey because I wanted something other than black. This is the exact same chasis that the Seals use.

'88Scrat

I meant to ask what the overall length was.

Wondering if I should go with the Scout M1A or the Standard. Standard has a longer barrel so stands to reason that it should be more accurate right?

Most M1A run about $2500 new as it is, so unless you are looking at 2nd hand guns you might be pushing it.

Depends on what quality you want, do you want it to just look like one, or do you want it to be accurate and reliable to?

'88Scrat

Well I would like accuracy but to be honest I won 't be using it in competitave shooting or anything. It will mostly be used on the range and to bag a few buck every now and again.

Id recommend a Polytech M1A, they're basically a exact copy of a real M1A but cheaper, some people think they're crap but 90% of owners think they're brilliant for the price, theres some cases of them being more accurate than a real M1A.
A lot of people who have the polytech guns replace some of the parts with proper GI parts which could be an option for you.

SR420

'88Scrat

I would like to know your guys's thoughts on the best way to build an M1A EBR and was wondering if it can be done for about $2,500.

It can be done and you can do it for a bit less or a bit more, it really depends on the cost of the barreled action and what variant of the SAGE EBR chassis you decide to use (there are 4 to choose from).

'88Scrat

Wondering if I should go with the Scout M1A or the Standard. Standard has a longer barrel so stands to reason that it should be more accurate right?

All 3 lengths can be accurate and the longer the barrel the longer the reach.
16.25" SOCOM = 500-600 yards, 18.0 Scout = 700 - 800 yards and 22.0" 800-1000 yards. Optics, ammo and your ability also need to be factored in.

'88Scrat Well I would like accuracy but to be honest I won 't be using it in competitave shooting or anything. It will mostly be used on the range and to bag a few buck every now and again.

Both the 16.25" SOCOM and the 18.0" Scout will satisfy your needs stated above.

Smith Enterprise, Inc. makes upgrade muzzle devices for both and they are worth a look.

Clyde Armory is the best place to purchase a new EBR chassis and used ones pop-up from time to time on the forums.

trg42wraglefragle Id recommend a Polytech M1A, they're basically a exact copy of a real M1A but cheaper,

Norinco and Poly Tech are very good Chinese copies of the USGI M14, they are well known for their excellent forged receivers, forged 1-piece op rods, chrome lined 22.0" barrels at a bargain price. It's been my experience that these M14s respond extremely well to just a little TLC, USGI bolt conversions in particular.

All of my EBRs are custom built by SEI on Norinco and Poly Tech receivers, here are two 18s and a 16.25.

SEIbuiltEBRs.jpg

I hope that helped.

gunnutbmg

i would like to make a clarification to this
1st you can build the ebr for less than $2500
i have $1900 in my Springfield ebr003 (800x600).jpg

2nd m1a is a trade name owned by springfield armory inc.
all other versions manufactured by Smith,LRB,7.62 ARMS FULTON are M14's
if you want info regarding the m14 please go to http://www.m14raforam.org
its know as Team m14 now but their a great bunch of guys dedicated to the m14 and very willing to share info and help

SmokyBaer

$2500 will definitely build a fine EBR...

Good used M1A around $1000-1100
EBR stock from Clydes Armory $700-850
Perfect sized gas cylinder shim $15-20
Sadlak extended mag release $40
Smith Enterprise bolt release $50

Even add an EoTech 555 for $500 and it's within a 2500 dollar budget.
Just gotta be patient finding the right deals.

MyScoutEBR02.jpg

'88Scrat

There is a show coming up tomorrow near me and I was wondering what a good gun show price might be on an M1A if there is any difference at all. Since the time I first created this thread I have been biding my time and holding out for a great deal but am still waiting.

It occurred to me that of all the firearms I own I have never actually bought one from a show though I have some friends who have and they seemed to pay about 20% less than what retailers wanted.

Last edited:

Jason_G

Most M1A run about $2500 new as it is, so unless you are looking at 2nd hand guns you might be pushing it.

Uhh, I don't know where you're shopping, but you can get a NIB Standard model for $1300-ish at pretty much any high volume retailer. $2500 for an M1A would be highway robbery unless it were a Super Match or something.

I thought about just getting a bone stock M1A but I like like the idea of being able to REALLY tacticool it out (You know; optic, bipod, light, laser, can opener, and kitchen sink ) if I want in the future but for now will probably just go with iron sights and a bipod.

My advice:

Forget the tacticool stuff momentarily. Forget the EBR chassis, and the bipod. Get a Standard or a Loaded and a good sling. Learn to use said sling. Get the irons properly zeroed for some quality rounds loaded with 168 gr Sierra Match Kings. Learn to use the irons in their full capacity, and then be amazed at what you can do with those irons. Take it hunting for a season. Learn what you do and don't like about it for the applications in which you intend to use the rifle.

Then you will know if you really want that EBR chassis or not.

I've got absolutely nothing against the EBR setup in general, but it's intended to mechanically bed the action, add adjustability for LOP, etc., and make the rifle more optics friendly with a rail. All of this adds a substantial amount of weight to an already heavy rifle. If it is for range use only, then no problem. You won't notice it that much, and you will probably enjoy some of the benefits that the chassis brings to the rifle. If you plan on hunting with it, I think you will hate the added weight, the cheese graters that will catch lots of brush in the woods, and frankly the laughs from everyone else at the deer lease that sees you as "playing commando". Ok, you may not care about the last one, but the others are real detriments.

Now I'm not trying to get in your business, but if you have a lot of money and just want a neat military chassis on your rifle, then I say have at it, and enjoy the hell out of it. More power to you. I wish I had the money to do the same. If you don't, then I would hate to see you spend a ton of money on a chassis that you will end up not really having much more than an occasional use for. I hope you get where I'm coming from on this.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're having to save up money for this setup, then you should probably give the stock rifle a chance before you decide it needs an EBR, and then if you still want one, go for it. Otherwise, you can accurize it and still have a lot of money to spend on ammo with what you will save.

Best of luck with your decision, I hope you're happy whichever way you decide to go.

Jason