eBay 6 in 1 tool as a cartridge lathe

Kilroy08

I started having a hankering for a small, table top lathe to modify cartridges to reload other calibers.

I figured this would be the easiest way to modify rims, extractor grooves, turn necks, etc.

Has anybody heard anything about this little gizmo?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-6-In1-Tools-Classic-Wood-Metal-Lathe-Milling-Machine-Jig-saw-Driller-Grinder-/151089656661?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item232d a53355
It appears to be a 6 in 1 erector set ish mini machining set up.

I figured what I would need was something a machinist would give his kid for Christmas, then promptly abscond with it as it was too much fun to screw around with. The Easy Bake Oven of machine tools, if you will.

This looks like it.

L2R

crap shoot

guessing this would do what you want is probably slim.
But then, no one will know for sure until someone tries.

I am a machinist and this concept really makes me want to buy one to copy it but with more robust materials.

I say it is probably not going to work as a safe guard.
Things must be rigid and repeatable and somewhat straight and centered.
This makes no guarantee on any of these claims.

I strongly suspect it will struggle on wood and brass would be well beyond it's ability once much less 1000s of time.

If someone has 200 bucks to blow, let us all know. :D

Don't have one myself

Keep it immaculate. Most of it is plastic and if metal chips get imbedded into it, your accuracy goes (runout increases).

iraiam

I don't think it will be like you hope it will. I had a similar cheezy setup and gave it away and bought an actual lathe and mill.

I have tried numerous approaches to speeding up my brass trimming, I have a small machine shop in my basement and have tinkered with several devices that go in my lathe or mill to speed the process up.

In the end I finally realized that just sitting down and trimming it was the fastest, all the other methods on my mill or lathe just made it slower.

Rifleman1776

Just because something comes from China does not mean it is junk. Most of my woodworking shop is equiped with Grizzly tools and they are fine.
However, that one just seems to scream "chintzy". Dealing direct with someone in China would be more concern to me than the machine. I suggest you continue shopping.

It says CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled). Unless it comes with really easy tool path software you may be looking at learning G-code to program it. I don't know if it operates well by hand or not, but I don't see the usual handles on the knobs for that purpose, so the knobs may be just for offset adjustments.

Do yourself a favor and put the money toward a Gracey or a Giraud trimmer. They're way faster than any other trimming methods. You can find videos of them on You Tube. About 20 cases per minute, not counting caliber setup time. I have a Giraud I use for .308, .30-06 and .223, my high volume calibers, and just keep three cutting heads set up for them for quick swap out. Gracey also makes an outside neck power turning tool, but it looks like it's a separate tool and not a cutting head you can swap out. Giraud talked about making a conversion, but seems to have gone off into case annealers and other projects. He does make bullet meplat trimming conversions.

dahermit

It says CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled). Unless it comes with really easy tool path software you may be looking at learning G-code to program it.
There is a note at the bottom of the listing that states that it is not CNC, but manualy operated.

I missed that, obviously. Wonder why CNC is in the name then? I thought it was awfully cheap for something with axis motors in it.

Rereading, CNC seems to be the brand name. Deceptive. Can't believe plastic ways would hold up.

Kilroy08

Upon further research, I saw the Taig Micro Lathe II. There's plenty of things people have done with it and lots of home brew accessories with details on how to make them in addition to what is commercially available.

I think I will pass on the tinker toy and get something worth while. I don't have very high hopes for the Chinese multi thingy.

Alex Johnson

The Taig lathe would be a much better choice if that is what you want to do. If you have a HF nearby, you might want to check out their 7x12 lathes. If you can get a good deal on one these are decent machines with a lot of power and capacity for their size. I happen to have both the Taig and 7x12 and have used them both extensively.