Easy way to clean Cylinder Face !!!

tonyz

Today I was cleaning the last of my guns from last weekends shoot, I had my Stainless Steal Security Six to clean and I thought that I would polish it. I usually use Mothers but I had a can of brasso on my bench and thought I would try it. When I got to the cylinder face it cleaned up easer then with a lead Away cloth and left it shinny as new.:)
I mean this was easy I just soaked a old rag with it and applied it to the front of the cylinder with some elbow grease and in a minite or too it was shining like new.

Has anyone else tryed brasso on there Stainless Steal guns?
If so your comments.
If you like a nice shinny cylinder give this a try!

Tony

BlackJack

Other things I've tried that work include Flitz metal polish worked with hoppes #9, although that still takes some scrubbing. The easiest thing that works pretty well is a pencil eraser.

Herb Leventhal

cylinder face

Lavan:
Of coarse I clean the cylinder face. For the past 30 years I clean it with a 1 inch piece of lead away or similar chemical prep . I am a perfectionist and that is the way it is.
Herb

Ledbetter

Me.

Scrub with Hoppe's and phosphor-bronze brush after I scrub the chambers. Wipe dry and use lead-away cloth. Instead of a square, I use a strip so I can "floss" the topstrap and other areas.

Regards.

justinr1

>>You CLEAN the cylinder face??
>>????

Exactly. Why? Take a look at a S&W or Freedom Arms ad in the guns rags. You use Hoppes and a brush to "clean" the cylinder. Period. The marks "belong" there. Trust me.

justinr1

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
I usually drop the cylinder into a jar of Hoppe's #9 while I'm cleaning the barrel and frame, then scrub it down with a bronze brush, then clean the cylinder bores, then scrub it with a Nylon brush--but then, most of my revolvers are blued rather than stainless. I've found soaking it cuts scrubbing time by about 75%.

tonyz

I use to clean the cylinder with a Scotchbrite pad and Hoppes, then followed by a piece of lead away cloth. But the results I got with the Brasso were so fast and so much shinner that I won't clean it the way I used to again.

Tony

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 325

bountyh

I don't recommend using any cleaner with an abrasive compound in it for any nickle finish. SS no problem, I think nickel is too easily scratched. I don't know what the chemical formula of brasso is for sure, but you should not use anything that is reactive with copper as most nickle plate finishes are applied over copper. Anything that reacts with copper can get under the surface and start peeling it off.

Bob G

Thanks for the great idea. Tryed brasso on a Stainless Steal SP101 today. It worked easier and faster then the lead away cloth.

VictorLouis

IMHO, Brasso is far too abrasive

for that task.:eek:

The carbon stains do not interfere with function of the gun. As long as you are cleaning off any residual lead or jacket material, it's fine to leave the donuts.:D I simply spritz the cylinder face and chambers with MPro 7, and scrub lightly with a brass toothbrush and bronze chamber brush.

If you must get rid of the rings, then Flitz is a lot milder and works fine in conjunction with the brass brush. It will also work on blued guns without stripping the finish.;)

DanP

Is "Flitz" a household cleaner, or where would I find this product?

I've heard good things about it more than once, but have not seen it at any gun shop. Is this a K-Mart or Supermarket item?

I'm more interested in removing the stains off the outside of the cylinder itself in my SS GP100.

No gun product so far has worked, and it looks pretty sad, particularly after shooting that vile S&B LRN stuff.

On the other hand, the crud just falls off my shiny Nickel-plated sweet Model 19 just by me placing a tissue in its vicinity...

Makes me wonder, has someone actually Nickel-plated a stainless gun? If its possible then it may be worth it for a lifetime keeper such as the Ruger.

VictorLouis

I can't imagine a gunshop

that doesn't at least carry the tiny sampler packs of Flitz. Check with your local Home Depot or Loewe's, also. If not, here's their site: www.flitz.com

FWIW, I've been using their Gun Wax lately on my blued guns with great results.

YosemiteSam357

Flitz

... is a metal polish, much like Simichrome. Comes in little tubes and bigger tubes, and costs less that $10 usually.

Often things like Brasso, Turtle Wax Chrome Polish, and Noxon contain ammonia and/or more caustic chemicals which actually remove a tiny amount of metal from the surface being "polished", much like those "dipping" sterling silver cleaners. If you don't mind sacrificing a little surface metal they can make cleanup go faster, but you are losing material every time you use them, so it shouldn't necessarily be part of your regular maintenance.

Much as I like the look of my new stainless Vaquero all polished up, I figure a little black on the cylinder face just shows I love her enough to use her. :)

-- Sam

DanP

Thanks.

Wonder why none of my three local shops carry it? Weird.

I'll try Home Depot.

I am concerned about abrasive stuff, and lead-away cloths just don't cut it in this situation.

And I don't mind some use showing, but this just looks like I haven't cleaned it at all.