Easy AR Question.. I think

ndking1126

I've shot the M4 and M16 in the army and I had an AR15 about 3 years ago, so I'm not a complete idiot on it, but never been an enthusiast or paid close attention to them.

I recently built a lower for the first time with a PSA parts kit and bought an assembled upper to go with it. I haven't fired it yet, but I've noticed that the buffer weight makes noise. Something slides around inside of it and it is fairly loud. In theory this make sense as the weight would only make a difference it could move, but I've also can't remember every hearing an AR/M4 make a sound like this. Is the sound normal?

I can pull the buffer weight out and separate it from the spring and the sound still happens. It doesn't have anything to do with it being installed or not.

Thank you.

zukiphile

The little steel weights inside that buffer are supposed to move around. Pull it out and shake it and you'll surely hear it. That's normal.

Scorch

Having been in the military has no bearing on whether you know how to disassemble/assemble an AR15. That's not what grunts do, that's why they have special guys called armorers. I drive a car, but I would be a terrible choice as an Indianapolis 500 pit crew mechanic.

Buffers have a weight inside of them. Somethimes they make a little bit of noise. Biggest question would be, if you never built a lower before, did you get all the parts in the right places? Is everything tight? Do you have parts left over?

ndking1126

Thanks for the quick replies. Is it normal to heat the weight sliding around when the rifle is assembled? Maybe mine is just louder than most?

Scorch, I certainly didn't rely on my military experience as I was an officer, not even a grunt. I was more removed from that type of activity than the average Joe. I did a lot of research and am quite confident I got it right. Articles, youtube videos, and talking with people who have demonstrated proficiency. No parts left over, but only question in my mind is if the castle nut is tight enough. If it comes loose I'll find someone who has more experience than me.

HiBC

Here is why you have moving weight inside the buffer.

Have you ever thrown a steel ball bearing down on concrete? They bounce like a golf ball. Hard steel will bounce.
They figured out "bolt bounce" was sometimes a problem with the AR,particularly with full auto.

The shuffling weights inside the buffer deliver a slightly delayed energy "pulse" to counter bolt bounce.

stagpanther

If you bought the standard PSA buffer kit--that "schling... sproing" you hear comes standard and free of charge.:D Nothing to worry about in general as long as it's not beating the lower to death in the process.

imashooter

Never seen one that wasn't audible. More cheaply made guns will typically transmit rattles, sounds, etc more than others due to materials and all that.

mehavey

Having been in the military has no bearing on whether
you know how to disassemble/assemble an AR15. . .
--BUT --

It probably does mean you're more familiar that the average bear.

:D ;) :)

kymasabe

Most of my buffers rattle a little, its not uncommon.
If ya' dont want to hear it, buy one of the powder filled buffers from Kaw Valley.

44 AMP

Staff
You might consider the "rattle" similar to the "turn ring" on S&W DA revolvers, it shows that the parts are working as designed.

(A turn ring on a Colt revolver shows misuse)

Fishbed77

If you don’t like that sound, you can use something like a Spikes ST-T2 buffer. They use a tungsten powder versus moving weights, and I’ve found them to be very reliable in 16” and 14.5” inch carbines with carbine or mid length gas systems. YMMV.

MarkCO

As others have said, it is not atypical.

Better buffers have a rubber disk in between the weights that mitigate the sound. Some have powder in them. Some metal disks separated by polymer disks, which also quiet the noise.

bfoosh006

The buffer is designed to act like a "Dead Blow Hammer" , as mentioned it is meant to help with bolt carrier bounce.

odugrad

To answer your previous question about your castle nut being tight enough, probably. I've never seen a castle nut come loose.

HiBC

Note the castle nut comes notched. Yes,that is for the spanner. Its also correct assembly procedure to use a punch to stake the threads after assembly.
If that is done,they stay tight.

If its not done,the leverage provided by the butt will cause the buffer tube to "work" within the nut. It can,and likely will,loosen if not staked.

Save the staking till you are happy with the build. Its a semi-permanent commitment thing.

Scorch

Its also correct assembly procedure to use a punch to stake the threads after assembly.
Not trying to start an argument, but no, you don't stake the threads. You stake the back plate into the staking notches on the front of the castle nut. Or put a small drop of green LocTite on the rear of the castle nut.

HiBC

Not trying to start an argument, but no, you don't stake the threads. You stake the back plate into the staking notches on the front of the castle nut. Or put a small drop of green LocTite on the rear of the castle nut.

I'll offer no arguement!! I had it wrong! I just looked at the notches you referred to.
I learned something,Scorch! (It happens :) ) Thank You!!