Easter Sunday at Trinity UCC

73 Jock

"How to Handle a Public Lynching."

That was the title of the Easter sermon given by Trinity's new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss III. In it, he called the media treatment of retired Rev. Wright (which consisted largely of clips of the Rev. in his own words) a lynching.

He then kept it on-topic and Easter-ish by suggesting that the "lynching" of Rev. Wright bore similarities to Jesus' crucifixion.

Easter sermon at Trinity

Senator Obama was not present at the service -- although he will certainly no longer be able to claim he is unaware of the church leadership's "unapologetic" views -- now that their sermons are considered national news.

It would appear that the leadership of Trinity UCC, is less concerned with the viability of their Favorite Son's national candidacy, than they are with maintaining the church's fiery momentum:

Moss defiantly defended their method of worship, referencing rap lyrics to make his point.”If I was Ice Cube I’d say it a little differently — ‘You picked the wrong folk to mess with,"

This issue will no doubt remain the largest obstacle to the Obama campaign's message of "unity", and it may be necessary yet to disassociate from Trinity. Either way, it appears to be costing the campaign political capital.

buzz_knox

This issue will no doubt remain the largest obstacle to the Obama campaign's message of "unity", and it may be necessary yet to disassociate from Trinity. Either way, it appears to be costing the campaign political capital.

Not anymore. The damage has been repaired and the media is moving on to other, more important issues, like Obama's choice of vacation spots.

The cult of personality continues unabated.

73 Jock

Trinity Fires Another Torpedo at SS Obama

Apparently, the Obama campaign doesn't have much influence with the leadership of Trinity UCC:

from the Philadelphia Inquirer:
In a taped interview broadcast yesterday [monday] on WPHT-AM (1210), Sen. Barack Obama defended his Chicago church...

"This is not a crackpot church," the Democratic presidential candidate said of Trinity United Church of Christ. "...this is a pillar of the community, and if you go there on Easter, this Easter Sunday, and you sat down there in the pew, you would think this is just like any other church."

Obama told WPHT host Michael Smerconish,...that these isolated excerpts give a distorted picture.

"The ones that are most offensive are the ones I never knew about until they were reported on," he said in the interview, taped Friday night. "...I don't want to suggest that somehow, the loops you have been seeing typified services all the time."

So Sen. Obama predicts an Easter sermon that will be (dare I say it) typical of any Christian church, and they torpedo him again with "How to Handle a Public Lynching" and the sacrilege of comparing criticism of Rev. Wright to Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

"...just like any other church."??

Either they have no interest in aiding his campaign or they have a stunning lack of political savvy.

HKuser

The race hucksters have to keep the flock riled up to keep those offerings coming in, dontcha know?