Easter Egg Hunt

teeroux

I was invited to a Easter egg hunt and was wondering what caliber rifle I would need to take down an Easter egg.

Here is what I have.
22lr
9mm
30-30
5.56x45mm
7.62x39mm

What do any of you recomend?

:)Happy Easter

Flumph

I'm taking my shoulder-mount Howitzer cannon to my hunt tomorrow. Those eggs might be flying, you never know...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The .22lr leaves the most edible "meat" but I would prefer a .177 pellet rifle with pointed "pass thru" pellets to leave the maximum un damaged meat. what is tuff is the yolk is the "head" but you never know where the head is so you may end up with a bunch of "heart doctor" approved fatless protein:barf::barf::barf:
Brent

Hirlau

It's not the size of the egg that worries me; it's the creature that lurks inside.:eek: Nothing less than my 375 H&H;)

chickpeeking.gif

G'day. It will all depend on the size and type of the egg you intend to hunt.
Are you after a trophy or are you trying to put food on the table?
Are they the cocoa variety of egg or the hard sugar candy type?
What is the expected range and the type of terrain you intend to hunt in?
Have you done the "EGG HUNTERS SAFETY COURES"?
When will people learn to use the search feature?
You need to give us some more details so we can help.
It's the old question all over again. I'm getting sick of it. Blah blah blah.....:D

B. Lahey

Depends if you have to clean up afterward. If yes, .22. If not, .223+.

Be aware that hardboiled egg fragments stink like crazy after a day or two, and they don't stop stinking for quite a while. Because of this, it's best to hunt easter eggs in a remote area.

Keltyke

You people just won't believe it. Caliber does not matter - shot placement is everything. You hit that little sucker dead center with anything you you'll have a REAL egg hunt on your hands - looking for all the little pieces! :eek: :D

Dragon55

I'd go with the 30-30

THey like to hide in thick brush. So go with open sights and a 30-30. Be ready to pursue cause usually first shot only p@$$es them off. and no blood trail so stay close.

SilentHitz

I prefer my Quackenbush .177 Air rifle ( with darts). Minimal damage to edible "goodies", yet makes a clean kill. TIP: If you intend on munching on the kill...don't use the poison darts! ;)

Tom2

Yea, big tough egg hunter! How about going after some peeps? They can soak up alot of lead and keep going. Hard to kill.

scorpion_tyr

I'd say go with 9mm.

There are a lot of different sizes of eggs out there. Most being the size of chicken eggs, while some resemble ostrich eggs. .22 should do the job, but I'd say 9mm just to make sure, and make it more fun :D

I don't even mess with peeps any more. Bad experience. I'll give you a hint, .223 is not big enough. There wounds just close right back up, and they keep coming.

Eggs, well... depends on the egg. I've bagged a few jumbos in my day, but it wasn't easy and I have years of experience. I wouldn't recommend trying for a jumbo (or even an extra large) on your first hunt. Stick with the smalls and mediums and work your way up. I agree with dragon that you need a brush gun. I prefer the 35 Remington.

roy reali

Watch For Mommy

Be careful out there. Those bunnies laying the eggs out can be quite protective. Don't be so focused on the eggs that you don't see momma bunny sneaking up behind you. If you think your egg hunting might result in a bunny encounter, make sure you have a few hand grenades on you.;)

Hellbilly5000

it depends are the eggs going to be hard boiled? are they candy filled?
if there candy filled i would say a 17hmr but you dont have one
so i would say a .22 if there hard boiled i would go with a larger caliber