East German Mak....

Anyone know what the East German Makarovs are bringing these days?

Dad had one that's virtually cherry, a LOT nicer than the later Bulgarian or even the Russian ones.

I'm half tempted to keep it, but we'll see.

NCHornet

Depending on condition, if it is LNIB (VERY RARE) $250-$300, 80-90% (where most fall) $200-$250, below that it will drop off fast. This is the local prices in my neck of the woods. If it is real nice and a good shooter I would keep it.

AngusPodgorney

Those prices are great! Around here you can barely get a Bulgy for $200. There is a Bulgy on GunBroker right now for $289. Makarov.com got 20 E.G.'s in about two weeks ago. They are down to less than 10 and they all sold for $350.

rgates

I saw an EG Mak at a local gun shop a few weeks ago for $298.00. It was in very good cond. They appear to be getting harder to find and everything I've read lately indicates they will only become more rare. I would never part with my Bulgy. Unless I could get a mint EG.

JR47

My EG Makarov was bought from Century Arms in the early 90s. I believe that I paid $135.00 for it. As they were limited in supply, that justified the premium price, as most other Maks were right at, or just below, $100.

I also have a Russian IJ-70. The EG is a superior piece in almost every way. Keep it, and one day it'll pay for a week's vacation.:D

9x19

At $350 they are way over-priced according to their utility, but collectors often "must have one" at any price.

Good guns, the Maks, but none are $300 guns, IMO.

briang2ad

Agree...

They are nice guns, and the price is way up because of a "supply problem". At this point a Mak is out of line. I passed up a Bulgy at $175 in great condition a year ago. I did buy an IJ-70 3 years ago at the same price - they are VERY reliable and quite accurate. BUT - any more than $200 is kinda nuts. For that I can have a STAR BM with cheap ammo, etc. OR at $250 you might snag a CZ 82 which can be more accurate, has 12-13 in the stack, better sights, better DA trigger, and etc. So, $250 and up for a 'generic' Bulgy or EG is just too much. I've shot a CZ 83 once - wow! Accurate and VERY ergonomic! (I am tempted to trade my IJ for one). Yes - EGs are generally going for $300-$350 - too much IMHO.

AngusPodgorney

Interesting

I have an E.G. Mak and a CZ 83 in 9x18. I shoot the Mak better than my CZ. I don't think $300 is out of line for a gun that is as rock-solid-reliable as a MAK but we are all remembering when they first came in at ridiculously low prices. What would an American made MAK cost today?

Last edited:

Deaf Smith

With the workmanship of the EG Mak, it would be compairable to the Smith Walther PPK/S. And the Smith PPK/S is a bit more expensive than an Jennings.