easiest shiny finish to keep looking new??

Carbon_15

Well, against my better judgment, I have desided to get another single action six-gun. everysince I got rid of my polished stainless Vaquero, my gun cabinet has been severly lacking in sparkle. The polished stainless sure was pretty, but every time i wiped it off, it showed tiny dust scratches (like when you wax a black car). I had to have it re-buffed every so often to keep the factory fresh look.
What type of shiny finish is easist to keep looking new? nickle, hard chrome, maybe even silver plated? How does nickle and modern chrome compare in hardness to stainless? the Uberti I want is available in a factory nickle finish...Would I be better off to get in in the standard blue, and have it hard chromed elsewhere, or will the nickle resist scratches fairly well? When I say scratches, I'm not talking about scratches as a result of droping, sliding it along a table, or dragging a key down the barrel..i mean the tiny swirl marks you get from dust and powder when you wipe it down.

jimmy

I used to figure it would be nickel, until my nickel S&W Model 38 tarnished from contact with its holster. To polish off the tarnish, I used Flitz, which left fine scratches in the finish and made the gun look worse. I don't know what to use to polish off the scratches.

Anyway, nickel it is not.

bountyh

Brushed stainless. It's the only one you can buff dings and scratches out to make it good as new. You don't really want bright nickle since you'll spend all day rubbing fingerprints off it.

Carbon_15

agreed Bountyh...all of my stainless guns are either brushed or bead blasted. But I just need a little sparkle in my gun cabinet.

Damnathius

Get another Vaquero in stainless, then get a micro-fiber type cleaning cloth. You can find them at stores that sell good sunglasses, for the purpose of cleaning smudges and dust from the glasses. Works great on polished stainless, even getting rid of that "milky" look which some oils cause.