Early S&W 4513TSW Tell me about it

18DAI

I'm looking at an early S&W 4513TSW, the one with the cut out grip, and 6 round mag. Anyone own one of these, or have some time behind one? I like the size, and thin slide on this model, and it's 45.

What's the good, bad, and ugly on this pistol?

Asking is around $700, and it's LNIB. Is it worth the price?

Thanks! Regards 18DAI.

camsdaddy

Not familiar with the 45 I have shot the earlier 4013 TSW and own a 3913 TSW. Very conceleable package super reliable and never a hiccup. I have had mine for 8+ years fired numerous rounds and very pleased.

Spenser

The only problem I had with it was it the tolerances were so tight that it was hard to take apart. It shot as well as my Kimbers, and I liked the DA/SA with a safety and decocker.

The mags are a bit high-dollar, but otherwise I had no complaints about the gun at all.

It functioned wonderfully. No problems at all, and very easy to carry.

Not sure about prices in your area, but that sounds a bit pricey here in Texas.

KurtC

They were only made one year, incorporating design improvements from the Performance Center guns. The .45 version, having the chopped grip, was a marketing flop. The grip is too small for most shooters that favor a 45. Even if your hands are small enough to fit, there is no flare at the bottom to aid in controlling the handgun. Some folks use CS45 magazines to compensate for this, but they look pretty lame on the gun.

The following year, 1999 I believe, they introduced the TSW lineup with standard size grip frames. The original versions are now considered obsolete (OBS) on the parts lists.