Early model 700 BDL 7MM mag with stainless steel barrel

homesick

I need some info, I was told Remington came out with the 7MM mag in the 700 in about 1962 and the 1st year it came out it had a stainless steel barrel. The rifle I am looking at has a 6 digit serial number 37XXXX, the barrel is blue. I can not make out the stamp marks on the barrel, it looks like 9 ? R 13.
The barrel is stamped 7MM Rem Mag and just below that it's stamped in fine print STAINLESS STEEL

T. O'Heir

Remington says there were no SS BDL M700's until 1993. Discontinued in 2004. You can't blue SS either. It can be blackened though. It might be an aftermarket barrel.

homesick

Sorry Iam asking for the year this rifle was made, as I too was told Rem. made no Stainless barrels back then. This is a Remington factory bbl. and also it may be blackened and not blued.

JerryM

I h ave a M700 ADL 7MM Mag I bought in about 1962 or I think the first year it came out. I am sure it does have a SS barrel. Maybe it was just the ADL.
Jerry

roklok

They were stainless, but they looked blue. They were not left silver. I am not sure the exact process used by Remington to color the barrels, but if it is a early 7mm Mag and it says stainless, it is a safe bet that it is stainless.

Scorch

Early Rem 700s in 7mm Rem Mag were available with stainless steel barrels that were black chrome plated. Don't know the exact year, but I remember them from about 1968 or so.

homesick

Thanks for the info guys, I did buy the rifle and am looking to put a composite stock on it. 1st it will be shoot to make sure it functions properly. I hope its as accurate as my sons SPS stainless 7MM.