EABCO or Er Shaw

Polinese

So I'm getting ready to finally buy a heavy barrel for my savage. I'll be dropping it into a boyds thumbhole varmint (or another laminate stock haven't decided yet). Anyways I'm looking at the barrels from eabco and er shaw for my rebarrel. I know they're not top of the line but as I usually primarily shoot 150gr FMJBT I dont really feel the need to spend 100 to 200 more for a shilen, (also dont have it in the budget anyways). So was looking for opinions on these two manufacturers.

tobnpr

E. Arthur Brown is a retailer for ER Shaw. Shaw is the manufacturer...

I just got a Shaw 26" SS Varmint in 7-08 and will be installing it the weekend.
We'll see how it shoots.

They're button rifled, not a Shilen but supposed to be decent bang for the buck, and better than the factory barrels (which from Savage, ain't bad).

You'll wait 3-4 months if you order from Shaw. Best to find a retailer that (hopefully) has what you want, in stock.

taylorce1

If you want it now go to Northland Shooter Supply, Jim Briggs will have several barrels in stock from Shilen, CBI, as well as new factory take off barrels. I feel the Shaw Savage Kit barrels offered by EABCO and Midway are about the same as standard factory barrels. Shilen and CBI are definate upgrades from the Shaw and factory barrels and if you go Shilen CM you can get it for around $70 more than the Shaw kits.

I'm not really knocking ER Shaw barrels, I have a few and they shoot well. They just foul worse and take more rounds to settle in than a better brand of barrel. Plus the ER Shaw kit comes with the barrel nut wrench and gages for $199 + shiping from EABCO or Midway and that makes them a decent deal.

If you go become a paid member of Savage Shooters forum and cruise the classifieds over there you can find .308 barrels pretty regular. As well as the tools needed to swap barrels out. Plus you can always find someone selling stocks, better recoil lugs, different bolt handles and better triggers if you are in the market as well.

Polinese

Thanks for the replies. EABCO has two different barrels on their site ones listed as theirs and then the ER Shaws so I thought they were different.

tobnpr

I just looked at their site...kind of confusing..

When I was looking at buying a Shaw barrel I called them. He gave me the lead time I mentioned above, and suggested I go through a retailer like Brown...

Don't want to provide misinformation, so you can always call Brown and double check, but I do not think they are a manufacturer.

griff383

Ive had a few Shaw barrels and have no complaints about them. THey shot well and the finish was better than I expected.

I have also had a CBI barrel from Jim at NSS, wow, that thing was amazing. The price was more than fair and he is a great guy.

Polinese

Is it possible to purchase a heavy barrel from savage? I've got no problems iwth how my factory barrel shoots, its just a sporter barrel and I'm looking for a heavy barrel.

Txhillbilly

E R Shaw barrels are decent barrels,but they are not a barrel that will win you many competition shoots.For a match grade barrel,you'll have to cough up a few hundred more $$$.

There are some great deals out there on Shaw barrels.I recently purchased a 7mm/08 and 6.5 Creedmoor Shaw barrels for $158 ea from The Gun Shack.
I've had few problems getting them to shoot handloads under 1/2 moa at 100 yards.You just have to find what they like to shoot,as with any barrel.

The bad news is E R Shaw is very backed up,I ordered my barrels in March and didn't receive them until August(7mm/08),and a couple weeks ago with the Creedmoor.

taylorce1

I think you can send your rifle into Savage custom shop and they'll rebarrel it for you. IDK if they will sell you a barrel outright. If you Google Northland Shooters Supply, Jim has factory barrels in stock and he had a 26" blued .308 varmint barrel last time I checked.

Polinese

Found some contact info but no website, I'll have to give him a call when I get a chance. Any idea on the cost of a savage factory barrel and or how much it would cost to have them install a barrel.

taylorce1

Jim Briggs is old school he doesn't run a web site, however he posts in the paid advertising section of Savage Shooters Forum and lists his inventory. Call him he is a great guy to deal with and sells great products as well. You'll have to call Savage directly to see if they will sell you a barrel or install one for you. I've found that I can get most things aftermarket and better quality cheaper than going back to the dealer.

tobnpr

Savage factory rifles are pretty damn good for "factory" barrels...
The 20" lightweight barrel I'm replacing (off a "scout" model) shoots sub minute. I had planned to replace it when I bought the rifle since the purchase was really for the "donor" action for a build.
While waiting for the new barrel, I did some load workup (gotta shoot, right?) and it shoots 150 grain SMK's with all five holes touching at 100.
I almost hate to replace it, but need the extra velocity of the 26" barrel.

Check Gunbroker and the Savage Shooters forum- as well as the Hide as sometimes Savage factory take-offs show up, both new and used- but don't last long. If you don't need the accuracy of a high-end match barrel, Savage factory barrels have a good reputation for consistent accuracy.

Northland has a 26", .260, and a 24", .308 in Varmint contour in stock for $205 as of the last update, but you'd need to call him to verify current inventory.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-Barrels-Factory-New-Unfired-Updated-12-29-11