EAA Witness

lilguy

I have a 9MM thats a real work horse. I want to get a 10MM but first want info on their "wonder" surface and polymer guns. All input appreciated.

Japle

Before you buy a 10MM Witness, check Google for reports of cracked slides and the kind of customer service you can expect.

nathanrw

Years ago I had the choice of a Witness or a Glock 20. I took the Glock. The pistol was just more durable, and it came in some great tupperware with a knife too! Later I picked up a .40 barrel for it as well as a pile of other bits that were readily accesible for the Glocks.

goste

Have never had a 10 mm Witness, so no help....The wonder finish is a type of heat treatment finish, and as such, is super hard and durable.

I own a poly compact, that's very accurate, feels good in my hand, and is a complete POS.

Japle nailed it on Eaa customer service..:mad:, I'm glad you have a 9mm that works.. I really wanted the Witness to work for me, as I like the way they feel in my hand, And I find they will outshoot about anything else I own

The Witness was the only series of pistols I ever owned, where I had a 100% failure ratio, out of four. Some people tho, have really good luck with them............ I was unlucky.....:(

oldandslow

lg, 9/25/12

I am glad your 9mm Witness is working out well. Most of what I read about the 9mm's seems favorable.

I bought two new .45 EAA pistols with the Wonder finish. I refinished both in hard-chrome due to corrosion problems. Both experienced cracks in the frames and slides at low round counts (2800 and 3200 rounds) with standard pressure ammo. EAA refused to repair or replace them saying the refinishing voided their "lifetime warranty." I've followed the frame and slide cracking issues pretty closely on the forums and it seems to be most common on the 10mm and .45 standard model pistols and not their higher end pistols. Supposedly EAA/Tangfoglio has beefed up the slides and I have not seen many recent postings of metal fatigue/cracking.

While it is expected to have some problem guns, what sets a company apart is its customer service and the resolution of the problem issues. EAA is well known as having one of the worst customer service departments in the industry although I do read of some people getting better attention than in the past.

At present I cannot recommend any EAA product due to the above problems with my two pistols. As with most issues, due some research and see what conclusions you come to. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Skans

I have an EAA Stock 10mm (basically a higher end Witness with some upgrades). I actually like the Wonder Finish better than stainless, as it is harder and doesn't scratch as easily. I don't carry my Stock and don't abuse it like I abuse my Glock, but the Wonder Finish is good looking and easy to maintain.

I've ordered magazines from EAA's customer services in Cocoa. I spoke with a rep who was quite knowledgeable about the various magazines, ended up ordering 3 and received them within 2 days. Nothing has ever broken on my Stock, so I've never had to send anything back. I've posted them before, but here are some pictures of my Stock disassembled:

GunsBoo059.jpg

GunsBoo061.jpg

GunsBoo060.jpg

GunsBoo052.jpg

Last edited:

wbw

I've got a Witness Elite Match in 9mm and a Witness Compact also in 9. No problems with either so far. I love these guns. The Elite Match is SA only and the trigger is really sweet. The Compact ia DA/SA and I love that trigger also. They are two of my favorite guns. Can't speak to 10mm versions.

Here is my more recently purchased Compact:

Witnesscompact007.jpg

Skans

Olandslow, I understand what you are saying - I had a Taurus PT-99 that broke on me and it turned me, Taurus CS was a royal PITA to deal with and it turned me off on Taurus semi-autos. I can't fault you for pointing out problems you had with EAA - I've been in your situation.

gmarr

I've had my Witness 10mm, full size with Wonder finish, for just over 5 years. Never had any issues. The finish is excellent and gets compliments everytime I go to the range.

As for reliability, I've shot just about all the 10mm ammo available. Again, no issues. Very accurate and recoil is about same as with my .45 cal 1911. I ordered new grips from the factory, very nice grain pattern, and the service was pretty quick.

Online you'll find complaints about frames and slides cracking. But that was years ago and the quality is much better now.

I'd recommend one. In fact, I'll be ordering a .45 cal upper to create a 'Range Pak'. Yes I know, the original Bren was like that.

Dakotared

I have the 10mm Witness. I love the gun and never had any problem with it. It has never jammed in any way, it feels like it was made for my hand, and is accurate as a ray gun. It is my daily carry gun. My next few guns that I buy will be witness's in 9mm, 45, and 40, I can not speak highly enough of the gun.

As far as the customer service side they have changed management because they guy who use to run the place was driving it into the ground the way he was treating customers.

chris in va

I had a basic 45 Witness ...for a couple weeks. Couldn't believe how sharp the edges are, and the rear sight is twice the height of the front. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

lilguy

Why dump it over a sight issue, easily remedied. Sharp edges(?) Function problems?

Anyone done a conversion,any issues?

Dave P

EAA Customer Service

I have/had a Witness Match in 10mm. Fantastic pistol for the money.

But I broke it. Steel frame cracked on both sides, right behind the mag release. Strange ... I sent it back to them a few weeks ago.

But a (complete pistol ) warranty replacement is on its way - should be here today or tomorrow.

Dakotared

I have no idea what he is talking about sharp edges and I to not have this at all. Also the sights are great IMO.

Like any gun it is not for every one. Take me for example if you were to geive me a glock I would sell it in a heart beat and get another witness.

As far as the conversions go I will be getting a .22 conversion as soon as I can save up the money for it. The reviews I have read sounds like those who have done it like it.

And sounds like the customer service took good care of Dave. but one thing I would recommend is to up the spring to a 20 or 22lb spring as the one that comes from factory is something like a 14 lb and that is not strong enough for 10mm loads.

lilguy

EAA Witness Stock II 10MM 15rd 4.5 inch,chromed.

The above gun is available on line. The 45 + conversion+ sights and time is over 80% the cost of the II. Would it pay to just step up to the complete gun.Appreciate everyone input.

plateshooter

I had a Witness full size with the wonder finish. I bought it as a 45acp and later, bought a 10mm conversion kit for it. It shot the 45 and 10mm very well and I was very happy with the gun. I never had any problems with it.

I traded it in on a Glock 20 only because I had never owned a Glock. You know how those gun things go.

I would have had no problem selling the Witness to my best friend or brother because I really believe it is a fine pistol that I could say nothing bad about.

hemiram

I have a Witness .45 in the Wonder Finish, I had one before and sold it when I needed cash. I really liked it, so when I could, I bought another. I also own 2 of the "Mossad" guns, identical to the early Witnesses, a compact and a fullsized one. Both are what they called "satin chrome". As far as I can see, it seems to be the same as the Wonder Finish. The fullsized one's slide looks like stainless, much more than the frame or the other guns do.

I recently dealt with EAA's customer service and I had no problems and they weren't nearly as hostile as they were when I bought parts for my Astra A-75 a few years ago.

the jigger

Witness conversion?

lilguy,
I have a Witness compact wonder finish. I ordered a 45ACP conversion kit for it that slid on the frame like butter. It has functioned flawlessly in both configurations. In 45 it is one of my primary carry options. I also have a full-sized Wonderfinish in 45ACP. It is my primary range pistol. I am currently thinking of a 38Super conversion for it. IMHO Witness pistols are the best value that "few" people have heard about.