EAA WITNESS

jimjc

i`m looking for another 9mm semi. auto and interested in the EAA pistols...Who here has one and what do you think of it regarding reliability, fit ,finish. I see where you can get other calibers for the frame for a reasonable price, so that interests me also. Does anyone have the 22lr. conversion for it and how is it working out.

Claddagh

I bought my steel framed, full-sized, "Wonderfinish" 9x19 Witness a good many years ago, well before the "real" CZ 75's could be imported. Turns out to have been perhaps the best deal I ever got for the money I spent.

Fast approaching the 5-figures in rd. count, all it's ever needed has been two routine spring replacements. Nothing has broken nor worn-out. The sights came OTB perfectly regulated for my eyes and style of shooting with standard pressure 115 gr. loads at 25 M. Accuracy with its preferred ammo remains better than I can generally hold for on a given day and functional reliability with many different types of both ball and JHP ammo has been exceptional.

The "Wonderfinish" has proven to be extremely durable, showing only minor polishing wear on the slide rails and other contact surfaces.

You're likely to get a lot of negative feedback concerning EAA's rep for poor CS. How justified that may be, I can't really say as I've never had any reason to contact them.

I have no personal experience with the newer polymer-frame models, and can't comment on how well that caliber-swapping feature actually works in practice. AFAIK, the CZ "Cadet" .22 RF conversions do not fit EAA pistols of any vintage and I'm not aware of any being produced specifically for the Tanfoglio pistols.

wbw

I've got a Witness Elite Match in 9mm. No problems so far. I like it a lot and shoot it more accurately than I do my other 9mms.
Witness002.jpg

larry60

Witness 45 with 22lr colnversion

I purchased A 45ACP with a 22lr conversion from Buds gun shop on line two years ago. I had done some research on lot of gun forums and the Witness was well regarded over all and finding this gun with the 22lr conversion made up my mind. I paid $503.00 total with shipping for it and it came in A single factory plastic box with the 45ACP slide installed and one 45ACP magazine the 22lr slide and barrel assembly and one 22lr magazine. I feel I got two guns for the price of one. All my shooting is at paper so I don't feel my gun is primarily for my protection. This guns accuracy is better in either caliber than I will ever to match as the shooter. The 22lr is very fun to shoot and having it as a full size automatic is nice. The 45ACP is great shooting also but I have had some feeding issues the feed ramp is very narrow. I have fired 45 Tula brand ammo in 230 gr round nose these bullets have the bluntest round nose I have seen on anything. They cause my Witness to jam often also some of the other 230 gr round nose ammo will cause jams. I think this is a problem I can solve when afford to take to a gunsmith. For now I just shot it till it jams clear it and shoot some more. I have fewer problems using 200 gr truncated nose ammo. Buy this gun unless your sure you need to save your life with it other wise buy one of those ugly Glocks they shoot every time.

Sid

You can't find a better 9mm at any price than the Witness Elite Match. It is super accurate, easy to maintain, beautifully made, and feeds all of my handloads without any problem.

chris in va

My experience was a little weird.

Trying to find something with higher capacity than my Sig 220, I bought a base 45 model. Got it to the range, tried to hit my usual ground targets and had a lot of trouble doing so.

Thinking it was just me, I brought out my cardboard target holder and it confirmed the sights were off. Way off. For some reason the barrel was a different angle than the slide, and the rear sight was absurdly high compared to the front to accommodate that design.

I sold it soon after and got a Glock 21sf.

scottys1

I have had a Witness in 9mm for about 15 years. I used it in USPSA matches for a while. It now has ~40k rounds through the pipe. It has always been very accurate and reliable. I modified it with a trigger with an overtravel screw and an ambi safety. Other than normal cleaning and oiling, I've changed springs a couple times. It just keeps running and running.

WESHOOT2

Witness witness

I own two old (1994 and 1995) metal 9x19s; one visited Accurate Plating & Weaponry years back for a hard-fit Nowlin barrel and hardchrome. It has over 70K (120K?).
It has not been detail-stripped for cleaning ever.
It is my favorite gun.

The other went back to EAA for service last year, as it had become unreliable in extraction.
Returned in extraordinary condition.
That one has had a tougher life, as i've also run it in 9x21, 40 S&W (with an entire top end), and 41 AE.
Rd-ct is high. I like it very very much.

I also have a 45 version, too, and enjoy its accuracy.

Micahweeks

You got a good one. The Tangfolio design has been the inspiration for several fine pistols. My own experience is based off the Jericho, an Israeli pistol inspired by the Tangfolio and CZ designs. It was an amazing shooter. I just wish I hadn't sold it.

WESHOOT2

actually

Tanfoglio makes the frames and slides for Jericho, and they asemble the gun in Israel.

Sphinx and AR make their own frames and slides.

armoredman

Tanfoglio of Italy's sidearms have been imported under different names for many years, and they generally are well made, solid handguns. I carried a full size Witness 40 for years, before I got into the original, CZ. EAA customer service has left much to be desired for many people, but the maker is good.