EAA Witness Recommendation

brianidaho

I'm planning to buy my first defensive handgun in the near future. I am planning on a 45ACP, and am seriously looking at the EAA Witness, either in full size or compact, probably the compact (steel frame). Any comments on this firearm in terms of reliability, accuracy or suitability for concealed carry are appreciated. I have also e-mailed CZ-USA for their catalog, how do their guns compare with the EAA? Thanks.

Walt Sherrill

EAA guns are a crap shoot: some are outstanding, and some are clearly POS's. And its not dependent upon the model, etc.

If you've set on a concealable .45, you might consider the Ruger P-97. Ultimately reliable, very accurate (unusual for a Ruger semi-auto center fire), durable, and will feed anything. Looks bulkier and larger han it is. (Check the measurments...)

The CZ guns are a notch above the EAA guns, but often have interchangeable parts. There is no compact CZ 45 that I'm aware of.

plateshooter

I have an EAA Witness 45 full size in the Wonder finish. It is completely reliable, accurate, and very well made. I also have a CZ in 9mm, and I found the Witness to be better finished on the inside than the CZ. I'm sure there are lemons in any gun, but the one I have works great. From my personal experience, I would highly recomend one.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

WESHOOT2

Own 3 Witnesses, one 45 (and 38 Super), two 9's.
The 45ACP full-size has NEVER been reliable, but shoots so straight I had to keep it. Swap to the 38 Super longslide and it's 100%, and also shoots real straight.
Hot and cold.......I'd say buy, and roll the dice......'cause if it's good it can be really really good.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Peter M. Eick

I have a 10mm witness and love it. Great trigger, easy on the recoil and quite accurate. My only problem is that it is my only witness! I need to get more of them to be able to give a more general opinion, but mine is perfect!

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, H&K P7PSP and 9MM, Dual Perfection!!

brianidaho

OK, just stopped at another gun shop tonight and got my hands on the polymer compact Witness (p-series). Never thought I'd be into a "plastic" gun (I know how reliable they are supposed to be), but was pretty impressed. I'll expand on my original post about the steel version to include the poly-how do you like it? Also, I see that the poly is available with the EAA "wonderfinish" on the slide, is this a hard-chrome and does it wear better than blued steel in a carry arm? Thanks for any input. Bri

[This message has been edited by brianidaho (edited September 01, 2000).]