EAA Witness Match 10mm Opinion

TexRanger

I have seen much written on EAA Witness pistols. The reviews seem pretty mixed. Many seem to report quite a lot of slides and frames cracking, possibly in some of the older models.

My question is related to the new EAA Witness Match 10mm pistol. Could any who own or have used this model provide their opinions? The frame seems to be a nice stainless steel. Is this a big improvement over the steel models with the Wonder Finish? Have there been any cracking issues reported with this model?

Some have said that full power 10mm loads should not be used on the older Witness models. Does the same apply to the new Match?

I really like the fact that this is a single-action-only pistol. What are opinions of the trigger?

cwok

10MM Match

Don't have it, but may buy it.

I use the 10MM Hunter (SA trigger and 6-inch barrel - not however Stainless or WonderFinish) and I love it.
I've fired close to 1000 rounds of commerical 10mm Ammo through it.
No problems so far.

However I did have a crack problem with my standard Witness (.45 acp) at about 2000 Rounds - mailed weapon back to EAA on Monday and five days later had it back with a new slide.

I like both weapons - for me, the SA trigger on the Hunter is excellent - but I don't know if the Match trigger is any different.

sigelitest

Very nice gun well built
Go to http://www.henningshootsguns.com for parts and upgrades.
Never heard of an EAA limited Elite with a frame crack. The slide is as smooth as glass.
After everyone scared the crap out of me with their posts I almost didn’t buy one.
Now that I have shot mine I want more. It is my favorite pistol that I own.
I have had no customer service problems and they have even sent me free stuff.
If you ever have a problem with them just be honest. They will help you out.
I think it is steel and chrome plated it is not stamped stainless anywhere.

Attachments

• EAA.jpg
    EAA.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 176

DanD

I have the Match 10mm. I do like it a lot; awesome trigger and just a high quality for the money. It does need a heavier recoil spring for anything other than the weaker factory loads. I haven't had any problems with it so far.

ranburr

The Elite series is a whole different class from the standard Witness line. The Match is a very good pistol with a chrome frame, not stainless. I have two Elit Stocks (10mm/38 Super) and they outshoot my $3k+ 1911s.

wingman

I have a Match in 45acp, excellent pistol, heavy but perfect range gun like shooting a 9mm, accuracy is superb if I do my part.

Skans

I have an EAA 10mm Stock (similar to Witness, but has some upgrades). I love this gun. It is very accurate and works just fine for me. I've thought about replacing my Glock 17 - my primary home defense gun with my Stock 10mm. I've been reluctant just because the report from the 10mm is painfully loud.

TexRanger

EAA Witness Match

Thanks for the feedback. It is nice to hear that users are generally pretty happy with the pistol. Just judging by appearances, it seems to be of better quality than the standard Witness models and the comments seem to support that perception. Thanks again.

hardluk1

Skans your pistol is imported by EAA, IT is a Witness.
Texasranger I don't have a 10mm but do have a witness match and love it. Mine is a 40 with a 9mm conversion kit also. Had NO trouble at all and is much more accurate than i am. I had a sti shooter run a clip threw it and side he shot it better than has custom STI. Like has been coverd, match the recoil spring to your load. Check out henningshotsguns for all things witness. He is a factory shooter and make and sells custom parts and acc.. Also Brian Enos forums has a EAA section for questions or comments.

Skans

Skans your pistol is imported by EAA, IT is a Witness.

Actually, it's a "Stock" made by Tanfoglio. I think they call it the Witness Elite Stock now, but when mine was made it was just called the "Stock". Really, it's the same thing as far as I'm aware.

OHHHDEN

My Personal Experience

I bought my first witness 10mm conversion back in 04. I could not find any local. I bought it to use with a friends 45ACP Frame until I could find a good price on a gun for myself. From the first time I used it I loved it. DA for the first Shot and SA for everything after if you like. Accurate like guns that cost twice as much. I have been shooting roughly since I was 9 and I just turned 43. It is and always will be a family activity and I have always enjoyed it.
Back to the subject at hand. Since my first 10 conversion I bought a 9mm in a compact frame in 05 after they went to one size in the states. My new 9mm shot just as accurately as my 10 and my friends 45. Soon after I bought my 10mm Elite Witness Hunter which is a custom shop gun. It is a dream to shoot and has never given any issues. I have only had a problem with one Mec Gar magazine I bought for a backup. It needed a stronger spring. Other than that I changed the firing pin spring and recoil spring in another due to shooting 10MM D and D rated ammo(10mm full power loads). The stock 10mm Witness is setup for the weak stuff you would get from your local gunshop not the full power loads. I pulled off a few trigger jobs and few other mods that have only bolstered my interest in this brand. EAA Witness pistols have become my new treasure at gun shows. Most people do not know what they are missing. I for one, will be happy to take advantage of that. Over the last several years I have owned 1 Elite Hunter(new), 1 Wonder(New), 1 Poly(New) compact, 3 fullsize(New) 45, 40, and 9. I am planing on lurching the local big gun show this weekend. I am hoping to find a new one or maybe two.
Before they imported a small frame 40 S&W and smaller in general and 45ACP and up you had to get a large frame. I am being very general here. I know you could get conversion in 22LR for either. They still make the small frame for all countries but the U.S. does not import them anymore. I understand this thread is most likely dead. But, I just found it and maybe someone will need this information in the future.
If you have any questions I am pretty sure google and wiki can answer it. ;D

P.S. I have had a few dealings with customer service. I have had bad experiences all three times. They make promises to send parts or to sell parts to you and never send them. When you have called back several times to check and they say the parts are in the system and they are on their way. it has been 5 years and they have not arrived. I believe I have the right to say the service is lacking. I tell people to go to henningshootsguns website for parts and or advice Heuning seems to be a nice fella. He has helped me find a few tweaks that would have taken me much longer stumbling around in the dark. Savvysurvivor seems like it would be a good site but seems to be unattended.
my 2 cents

OHHHDEN

Slide cracks

I forgot to share what I heard about the slide cracks.
I have heard of the newer style cracking in 45 and 10MM. I have had no issues with cracks on my 9mm, or either of my 45's that I have had in the newer style rounded slide. But, I am not sending super power loads through them like I do regularly on my 10's.
I would call them cut down or rounded. I think they have been made like that on the bottom line style guns since about 08 or 09. The old witnesses had a more square slide just like the Witness Match or Hunter of today. My old 10MM conversion is of the more squared off pre 08-09 days. I have cracked and bulged several shell cases with reloads that were just over the edge and that slide laughs at them. My hunter Elite has a slide like my original 10MM conversion and I am more than happy with its performance. I currently own a Poly compact frame with a full size barrel and slide in 10mm but it is of the more squared off style like the others I own.