EAA Witness 10MM

mrawesome22

I was looking at the 10MM pics thread and saw that Winess and thought "boy that is a beatiful gun." Then I went to the website and saw the MSRP. $489! That is very cheap! In the store it would probably be around $330. This seems to good to be true if these run as good as what I've read. So does anyone have experience with these guns? Are they junkers or a good buy? If I get some good feedback, I'll probably be getting one very soon.

Sturmgewehre

It's one of the best made guns I own, and I own a lot of guns... :) I use it as an example of just how high of quality you can get for $300 when talking about firearms.

kirkcdl

My G/F has the full size steel frame in 45,and I have the Elite Match model in 40S&W($429 OTD),and they are our favorites out of the 30-40 pistols we own...:D

bakjr

I have both the Elite Match and Wonderfinish in 10mm. I like the Match a lot better and it is worth the extra money IMHO.

Witness Elite Match 10mm:

eaamatch.jpg

Witness Fullsize Wonderfinish 10mm:

witnessstandard.jpg

Tomas

I think these guns are built like tanks. I've had no problems with my full size, but the compact has a pre-mature slide lock issue I haven't been able to fix, and a trip back to the shop didn't fix either.

However, if I put the full size slide on the compact frame, the problem goes away.

These are great pistols, not for for the money, but in general.

Tom

joshua

Tomas, are you sure it's not you with the compact version? I'm asking because the smaller slide has a faster slide travel which equals to a faster and more recoil impulse. Have you tried getting someone else that shoots semi auto pistols to shoot it and see if it does the same thing?

bakjr, how is the accuracy on the Elite Match? I'm thinking about getting another pistol in 9mm and I like the way the Elite and Limited looks. I know they claim custom pistol features at stock gun level pricing, but I'm more interested in accuracy than hoopla.

josh

Tomas

joshua:

You are suggesting, I think, that I may 'limp wristing' the gun. It occurred to me, briefly, but this type of failure is not indicitive of 'limp-wrist', and, having been shooting 10mm for over 20 years and not had the dreaded 'limp-wrist' I don't think it's the issue.

What is the issue, and you touched on it, is that the slide is moving fast. A stiffer recoild spring didn't really help, but I know what the problem is, viz., that the slide hits the frame so hard that the small spring which holds the slide stop in place is failing to hold it, and it lifts and locks the slide. EAA changed that spring, but it didn't help much (it did help a little).

I just need to decide if I want to send it back again and tell them what to do and deal with their gunsmiths and customer service, which are hit and miss; have it done locally - by whom I have no idea, try it myself, or leave it. It is one of the downsides of this gun - who is going to work on it?

Still, the ergonomics are great - I just love the feel of the Witness, and I'll probably just keep the full sized slide on the compact frame for now.

Tom

bakjr

joshua, I find the Elite Match is very accurate. The CZ design points naturally for me and I find that it puts lead pretty much wherever I want it to.

Webleymkv

I think these guns are built like tanks. I've had no problems with my full size, but the compact has a pre-mature slide lock issue I haven't been able to fix, and a trip back to the shop didn't fix either.

However, if I put the full size slide on the compact frame, the problem goes away.

Sounds to me like the slide is hitting the frame hard enough to jar the slide stop up thusly locking the action open (if I'm understanding your problem correctly). The increased mass of the fullsize slide probably slows it down enough to prevent this problem. A stiffer recoil spring and possibly a recoil buffer may rectify the problem.

IdahoG36

I have a full size 10mm Witness with the wonder finish. It is a very nice gun to shoot. I haven't had any problems with mine.

jhgreasemonkey

Where are you guys buying your tanfoglio witness'? I havent ever seen them anywhere except online. I dont really like to purchase guns online. it would be nice if a local place here in Wa state carried them. I still plan on adding one to my collection one day. Of the research I did on these guns I only got positive info with exception to a typical mag problem here and there.

mrawesome22

I went to the EAA website and did a search for dealers in my area. The nearest dealer is about a hour and a half away from me and they didn't have any. But they ordered one for me and it should be ariving shortly:D I get wait to get my hands on it!

http://www.eaacorp.com/searchdealer.html

Here's the link to search for a dealer.

cheygriz

Got one. Like it.

Would like it one helluva lot better if it came with a "dcocker only" instead of that stupid manual safety.:mad:

Peter M. Eick

Extremely well made gun for the price. Mine was $285 including 5 magazines new. I used it as a truck gun for years and put some really hot loads through it. I still see it at the range routinely and it is still blasting. I sold it because I had a few custom 10mm 1911's built and I could not justify "wasting" a perfectly good 10mm round in the witness when I could put it down my custom 10mm!