EAA will not feed JHP 45 acp

45reloader

Does anyone else have an issue with the full size EAA witness steel frame not feeding JHP 45 ACP rounds?

It has no issue with FMJ
It does it with 4 old and new mags
It has stock and after market 18 lbs recoil springs

It either has rimlock coming out of the mags or it nose dives right under or into the feed ramp.

Very odd ,it must be an issue with the JHP round being shorter.

Last edited:

shooter1

No problem with mine in 9mm/.40/10mm/.45. They feed anything I put thru them. Perhaps a little tweak here and there on your magazines? Good luck!
str1

kirkcdl

I'm thinking it's a mag issue also,but it probably wouldn't hurt to put Wolff 20# springs in it just in case...;)

Raider2000

Sounds like as though the feed ramp needs a slight bit of tuning to feed JHP's reliably.

On my 1991A1 I used super fine sand paper "started with 320 grit & finished off with 600 grit" wrapped around a dowel rod, just at the ramp & a little at the ramp area of the barrel.
This was done to smooth it up concidderably to make feeding the JHP's more reliable.

Now unless you are confident in doing this I would suggest taking it to some one that either has done this or especially a smith to be sure that it is done right.

45reloader

The feed ramp is already smooth,I took care of that.

I can't figure out why the rounds get rim locked inside the mag.

Raider2000

45reloader said:
The feed ramp is already smooth,I took care of that.

I can't figure out why the rounds get rim locked inside the mag.

Hmmm. if you mean that the rim of the top round gets locked into the rim of the round under neath or at the mag lips, then I would also think you have a Mag issue but being that you mentioned that this is with 4 different magazines I would think that it would be unlikely especially if the magazines are quality name brand like Mec-Gar or W.C..

It either has rimlock coming out of the mags or it nose dives right under or into the feed ramp.

This is the reason for my previous responce because untill I personally smoothed up the ramp & feed area of the barrel on my 1991A1 it would do just that nearly 99% of the time with 3 different JHP's & the ones that did chamber would be a stiff experience.

I'm assuming that this weapon will chamber a FMJ very smoothly?
How many FMJ rounds have you put thru this weapon w/ 0 failures?
Mags ever dropped where the lips may have changed profile any? - I've done this & not realized it till later.

Japle

Mine seemed to be doing the same thing, but it was actually the slide stop. Any full-power loads with bullets under 230 gr will lock the slide back with rounds still in the chamber. I now use 255 gr plated FP bullets. The gun also shot low and heavier bullets corrected that. I don't use the gun for SD, so bullet design isn't a factor.

The slide lock may not be your problem. Mags with black followers have been causing trouble for years. The red followers seem to work much better. Black folowers are more prone to nose-down tipping.

John
Cape Canaveral

Last edited:

doncameron

Pull the follower out of the mag and check the mag lips for burs.
Mine feeds any and all different kinds of rounds.

45reloader

UPDATE ! UPDATE ! UPDATE !

On a last ditch effort I went and got 3 Mec-Gar mags for the gun since I felt that was the problem.

I'm happy to say the gun is now 100% with FMJ and JHP.

Yes life is good :D

10 MickeyMouse

For future reference, the Witnesss pistols have an overly agressive extractor. You don't need to do anything with the spring, but remove the extractor from the gun and give it a slight bevel on the bottom, then polish it wherever it contacts the case. This and increased power mag springs has fixed the feeding issues in my Witness' (10mm's).