EAA/Tanfoglio Witness 9mm

hansolo

I have read very positive reviews of this pistol. I realize it is a CZ clone. I would appreciate feedback of owners as I am considering aquireing a new 9mm and this looks like a possibility so as not to break the bank. I am especially interested in reliable cycling and accuracy!

Thanks!

Cee-Zed

I don't own one, but they are nice guns. I prefer CZs and IMI clones, but the Tanfoglio pistols are well-made and come in many configurations that are not available elsewhere. The Tanfoglios are available in all-steel or polymer frames. If you are looking for an all-steel, full-sized 9mm, you will be better served by a CZ. (I believe you had a bad experience with CZs, but more people have had bad experiences with Witnesses overall.)

The Wonderfinish is really as durable as advertised, and it is DARN sharp.

caz223

What is a new witness 9mm going for these days?
It can't be that much less than a CZ75.

Last edited:

Cee-Zed

In Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky, the Tanfoglio pistols are hard to find (unless used). The IMI/Magnum Research imports are much more popular. Many of the delears do not enjoy doing business with EAA.

Eric Larsen

You can get a Jericho for 260$ (I think) from CDNN right now...compact 9mm no nights or anything...good price.
Its the exact same gun as a baby eagle...very heavily built gun.
The Poly versions of the CZ ...Daly etc are made by BULL....I have more info somewhere...hmmmmm.. Where the hell did I put that???????? :rolleyes:
CZ's really are great guns...but the Beagles Ive seen and the one that Ive shot are good guns also...
Most Tanfoglio framed guns are compatible with alot of others in the way of holsters, sights...even some triggers...
Shoot well

schild

When I bought my CZ85 the owner of the local gunshop told me of nothing but problems with his dealings with EAA.

spooker609

Retired Screen Name
I owned a 9mm and 40cal witness full size and steel frame on both, no problems with functioning with either. If memory serves me the 9mm shot alittle low left. The .40 was one of the most pleasant 40's I've ever shot, being fairly heavy it handles the recoil well. I now have a CZ75B, right now it won't extract Winchester whithe box (but it may be the ammo not the gun) the CZ's front sight is pinned in which would make it easier to change if you want others, and the CZ has a more melted or de-horned exterior and the fit/finish is a bit better IMO.

caz223

I'm sure other people have told you this...
Cz's customer service is ok most of the time.
Eaa's customer service sucks most of the time.
If you need something from eaa, you may/may not get it.
CZ has been good to me.

SouthpawShootr

CDNN does not list firearms on their website, even though they do carry and sell plenty. You can download their latest catalog from the website or call and ask them for one. They will not even discuss complete weapons online (only available through telephone/snail mail transactions).

hansolo

Witness, other CZ clones

Thanks for the above responses. Some of you have seen my posts regarding ongoing problems with, A.) My second CZ 75B 9mm - replaced for first "lemon" -- BAD cycling jams. B.) Rather startlingly rude/angry emails from Martin Bordson , VP of CZ-USA.

That's why I asked about the Witness...there's one at a local dealer; I read a glowing review on the Gallery of Guns website.

Sure, I'd rather buy a Browning Hi-Power or Springfield Loaded, but Homey don't got the bucks:p If CZ had been a little less confrontational with me over this problem, I'd hang with the problems until they were resolved. As it is, they showed me that they don't deliver what is promised in their advertisements and my only justice will be telling people how I was treated badly: not a way to encourage repeat business or brand loyalty:p

garrettwc

In Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky, the Tanfoglio pistols are hard to find (unless used). The IMI/Magnum Research imports are much more popular. Many of the delears do not enjoy doing business with EAA.

Cee-Zed, check Kiesler's in Clarksville, IN. They have 9's 40's and even some comped 45's in the Witness line. I haven't seen any of the polymers, but they have quite a few of the steel versions.

Also a good selection of CZs.

Cee-Zed

Is Clarksville near New Albany? I am in Evansville, Indiana. I buy most of my guns from Whittaker's near Owensboro, Kentucky. I still have to pay the stupid S&H and transfer fees on pistols, yet I still save money (AWESOME gun store). Is this Kiesler's big (like Don's Guns in Indianapolis big)? Thanks for the tip. Evansville has over 100,000 people, but no decent gun store. I think the proximity of Whittaker's just kills them.

I forgot to mention that a Tanfoglio bought in Evansville will cost MORE than a CZ purchased in Kentucky. Whittaker's is a CZ Master Dealer (or whatever CZ-USA calls it). He can sell them for less than some dealers are paying for them.

RoyP

I just picked up a witness in 45 cal. with the wonder finish at a gun show this past weekend.It was the only one in the whole show.I took it to the range and so far it has shot PMC,federal eage and UMC without any problems.Shot the crap out of a coffee can at 25 yards with it.So far I am very impressed with it.I too have heard about the bad customer service but hopefully I wont need to call them.

garrettwc

Cee Zed, yes Clarksville and New Albany are separated only by Silver Creek. Kiesler's is a major wholesaler and police supply.

Kiesler's Online

The retail store has a pretty good selection, but they pretty much have the market to themselves up here so prices run accordingly on popular models like 1911s and Glocks. I usually window shop there, then order what I want from Indian Creek Hunting Supplies in Corydon. The owner of Indian Creek is a fellow TFL'er and will order me pretty much anything I want.

Tangfolio's run about $399 and CZ's slightly more at Kiesler's which seems to be pretty good. I have heard about Whittakers from just about everyone I know. One of these days a road trip is in order.

Cee-Zed

Thanks, WaltherP99man. You might want to take a look at Don's Guns in Indy as well (just run up the interstate). MEGASTORE. Whittaker's is sort of the best of both worlds: megastore with Mom-n-Pop atmosphere. CZs are almost $100 cheaper at Whittaker's than Kiesler's. I paid...
$319 for 75B Mil
$349 for 75B SA (9mm, poly)
$429 for 97B (poly)
Their 527 series rifles start around $399.

At any rate, you can probably see why I shell out about $25 in hidden costs (transfer, shipping, etc.) to buy from them. I am very happy when I buy a long gun!

garrettwc

Thanks CZ. It sounds like Whitakers is going to be worth a tank of gas and a road trip. I need to figure out how to get to them easy. Once I cross the bridge into downtown Owensboro I am lost.

Where is Don's guns in Indy? I have been to Albro's on Emerson and another store way out in Plainfield.

I have to go to Richmond, IN next Friday on business so I might as well pop in to check it out.

Cee-Zed

WaltherP99man,

Don's is one the east side (there are several locations, but you want the big one). I can't give specific directions because my friend who lives in Indy drives us there. (I drive to Indy, and he or his wife drive us all around while I'm in town.) I imagine that they have a website, but I have never looked it up.

As for Whittaker's: If you're coming from Owensboro, you'll be taking KY 56 West for @15 miles until West Louisville. Ask at the big gas station there. Everyone in that area knows Whittaker's. It's on the West Louisville Road (a pretty nice 2-lane). This is what I have to do if I come from Owensboro, rather than Henderson on the Pennyrile Parkway. I have only come from that direction once (had Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro first). If you want, I can give very detailed instructions from Evansville/Henderson, but I don't think that would help much (since I end up taking KY 56 East and coming in from the SW, rather than NE). Whittaker's website is whittakerguns.com. They routinely give out directions by e-mail.