EAA Service: a Modern (non)Fairy Tale

WESHOOT2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought my first, a 9x19, in '94, then two more -one 9x19, one 45 ACP- in '95. Called EAA service about the first one I'd bought, because the second looked way different. Was NOT enamored with the quality of service; I mean, I was just asking a question.

Fast forward to this year, 2010.
My 45 had never functioned reliably except when I bought and fit an entire 38 Super top end (utterly without fail reliable, and stunning accuracy), yet was simply too accurate to part with. The second 9x19, having also been shot extensively in 9x21, 40 S&W, and 41AE, started failing to extract and eject.
The 45 had accumulated a fair rd-ct, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20--30K; the small-frame had well over 70K (maybe 100K? ).

I contacted a Guild 'smith, but he 'refused' the opportunity, recommending that the guns be returned to EAA.
Oh my......

So on February 10th, I bit back the rising bile, packed up the guns, and off to EAA service.....(I'd first called to confirm the ship-to address, and was treated professionally and courteously).
Mid-March I received a call from their service department; they wanted more money due to my modifications voiding the warranty. The tone initially was adversarial, at least until it became apparent to the caller that I wasn't arguing, but simply wanted to know how much.
Off went the additional funds.......

4/15: knock at door: UPS with a big old box of guns.
Fired both yesterday; both work. In fact, I am still absolutely slack-jawed with surprise at the amount of work performed, AND its quality. Both look like they came back from a custom pistolsmith. And without offering any details, I will simply state that I got WAY MORE gun back than the money I sent; WAY.

My (modern times) hat is off to EAA service, as in my personal experience, the level of the guns returned is stunning, and I am grateful.
All hail EAA service.

Credit where credit is due, ay?

Sturmgewehre

Interesting. I've never needed to contact EAA for my single pistol I own of theirs (10mm Witness) but I've heard nothing but horror stories. It's good to hear a positive story. Hopefully this is an indication that things might be turning around at EAA.

DT Guy

I like their guns, so this is especially nice to hear.

(How many guys could shoot that much .41 AE other than you!)

Larry

bdb benzino

Great to hear after all the horror stories I have heard about them!!:cool: Good luck with them now that they are back in service.

Japle

Well, that's good to hear. They've had such a bad rep, and I've had such bad experiences with them, that I haven't had the heart to send in my Witness .45. It's been locking the slide open on partially filled mags for years.

Maybe I'll give them another try.

BUT! If they insist that I spend the money to send the gun FedEx Overnight whan I live 15 minutes away (and pay to get it back the same way), to hell with them.

I'll call in the morning.

WESHOOT2

ditto 'heart'

My modifications included firing pins (and associated safety parts).

Pride in their work; that's my personal best guess.
I took both down a wee bit ago, and the 'repair work' goes so far above and beyond I am in awe. "Rebuild" is what both repair receipts state, but it hardly covers what was done. (I think all the 45 really NEEDED was a new ejector; not sure what the 9mm needed, but I'd guess just a good cleaning and maybe a mainspring?).

My long-ago first experience is why I'd not attempted to use their services, not until my discussion with that Guild member. Disheartened is what I felt as I packed the pistols in their original boxes for shipping to EAA.
But when I unwrapped the returned pair my jaw dropped.....and is still dragging the floor.

I did nothing special in any dealings with them, just my polite soft-spoken non-argumentative self. Really. Didn't even offer my e-mail/screen name; phone number and "T. Gray" only.

Happy happy happy me.

This post is also going on at The 1911 Forum.

WESHOOT2

for fun, cause I like holes

Not your standard look, ay?

Attachments

• two Guns 035_1.jpg
    two Guns 035_1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 88
  • two Guns 036_1.jpg
    two Guns 036_1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 84

sigelitest

This has been my experience with EAA and Paul which is the guy that I see most of the blogs about. I called there a little while back checking out their service and customer support for my self before I was gona make an investment in their pistols. I asked many questions to the point where I would have been aggravated talking to me if I was them. Paul was patient and answered all of my questions and even asked If they could send me some stuff. The stuff they sent me was not a bunch of junk, it was nice and I am sure it cost them some money. I have never had a gun mfg do anything like that for me. I am sure to them I am a nobody. I was not treated that way. I am not sure what was going on with the people that had problems. I can only guess they were trying to get away with something. I think if you are honest with them they would probably try to help rather than try to pull something over on them. Most parts that break on a pistol are cheep to replace at dealer cost so I don’t see why any company would not want to warranty their product.
It is not worth the bad publicity. The only way I can see them not wanting to help is if you start off being rude to them and expect service.
so far they have been a great co to deal with for me:D

WESHOOT2

so far

The 45 survived a hot-n-heavy USPSA Classifier match, six stages.

Attachments

• two Guns 031_1.jpg
    two Guns 031_1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 50
  • two Guns 044_1.jpg
    two Guns 044_1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 39

WESHOOT2

The pictures don't do justice to the work done; these guns were beat to crap before EAA got them, and they looked it......

Last edited:

hemiram

I'm glad to hear that EAA is, at least once in a while, doing something right in the service department. It makes me less antsy about buying another one as soon as I can get the money together. My friend's older Witness had a minor issue a few years ago, I think the ejector needed replacement, and that was done ok too, and it came back fairly quickly.

I can't say I've had great luck with ANY gun company's customer service, and that includes, Colt, AMT, FTL, Browning, and Taurus, I'll never forget how bad Taurus was. They fixed nothing on my horrible Model 83, and the gun was gone a long long time both times it went down there. That worked out well, as I bought a Dan Wesson Model 15-2 to use in the meantime, and I ended up keeping it and selling the Taurus.