Dusted off 257 Roberts - surprising result

ligonierbill

I was out to verify StaBall 6.5 in my Mauser: The weasels discontinued my go to IMR-4955. StaBall does well with Hornady 117s, and I wanted to run some with Sierra 117 ProHunters. It did fine, but the real story is, as an afterthought, I loaded some Barnes 100 TTSX. Got these to run in my 257 Weatherby, and while they do pretty good, they don't do as well as 120 Nosler Partitions. That's all I'll be shooting in that rifle, so why not try the Barnes in the smaller case. Barnes has data for Ramshot Hunter, of which I have an 8 lb jug, so I put some together. Barnes' max is 46.5, but I got their velocity with 45.0. Pretty good group. At 45.5, 1 1/4" (though I'm not really knuckling down) and 3,158. No overt pressure signs, so let's try 46.0: 3,190, still no pressure signs, but the group opened up to 2". Didn't fire Barnes's max. Checked QL when I got home, and that usually conservative software says I'm still under spec MAP. I think I'm going with the Barnes (also have 101 LRX).

PS: While I was letting the barrel cool, I banged away with my K-31. Using up some old (pre-Re-17) handloads. What a cool, fun rifle!

stagpanther

"Back in the day" many of weatherby's best hunting cartridges were based on the partition. I found the 270 and 300 weatherby cartridges loaded with partitions "defied BC logic" and were amazingly accurate within typical hunting distances.

HiBC

My 257 Roberts is an AI . That should not make any difference for bullet selection.
This has been my go-to hunting rifle for most purposes for a long time. 20 + years? or so. I started out with 100 gr Sierra Boat Tails and IMR 4350. That was actually not bad.
But I'm in Western wide open spaces that usually have a breeze.

When Nosler introduced the 115 gr Ballistic Tip I was on it! That bullet has worked very well for me. I'm just not even tempted to try anything else. I load one load for that rifle. Its a stable gun that seldom requires any sight adjustment. So its always ready to go and it always shoots the same.

My powder of choice is H-4831 SC. It works,too.

I'm not telling you what you should do. That works for me.

ligonierbill

I thought I was there with my Sierra 117s, and tried the Barnes almost on a whim. My goal is to get where you are: one rifle, one load. If it's too big or too far away, use a different rifle. Always liked the Roberts, but I'm gaining even more respect for it. And I keep coming back to those copper bullets. I've rarely been disappointed.

taylorce1

I think the old Roberts cartridge is cool. I have a buddy who has used one for several years built on a small ring 96 action without thumb cut. It looks a lot like a M50 FWT with it's Schnabel forend he carved into the stock. His favorite bullet has been the 117 Sierras in that rifle.

Me I'm not shooting much .257 calibers since I sold off my .25-06. I do have a CD mini in .250-3000, I bought it for my daughter many years ago for her to have a low recoiling rifle. I don't shoot it much, I always feel like I'll break something as it is so dainty. I'm thinking of changing my M700 .308 to .250-3000 or .25 Creedmoor, if I can get my new Howa Superlite .308 to shoot better.

USAF Ret

I think the old Roberts cartridge is cool. I have a buddy who has used one for several years built on a small ring 96 action without thumb cut. It looks a lot like a M50 FWT with it's Schnabel forend he carved into the stock. His favorite bullet has been the 117 Sierras in that rifle.

Me I'm not shooting much .257 calibers since I sold off my .25-06. I do have a CD mini in .250-3000, I bought it for my daughter many years ago for her to have a low recoiling rifle. I don't shoot it much, I always feel like I'll break something as it is so dainty. I'm thinking of changing my M700 .308 to .250-3000 or .25 Creedmoor, if I can get my new Howa Superlite .308 to shoot better.
What kind of groups are you getting from the HOWA?

.25 Creedmoor. First I have heard of that. Is it a wildcat or are they loading for it?

taylorce1

@USAF Ret, on a good day when the stars align about 1.5" for 5 shots.

.25 Creedmoor is a wildcat similar to the .250 AI, just with quality brass available for the Creedmoor cartridges it easy to make. There is also headstamped brass available from Alpha and Peterson that has been available through places like Graf and Sons. I'll probably just go with the regular .250-3000 as I'm already set up for that cartridge.

USAF Ret

@USAF Ret, on a good day when the stars align about 1.5" for 5 shots.

.25 Creedmoor is a wildcat similar to the .250 AI, just with quality brass available for the Creedmoor cartridges it easy to make. There is also headstamped brass available from Alpha and Peterson that has been available through places like Graf and Sons. I'll probably just go with the regular .250-3000 as I'm already set up for that cartridge.
Well, you know the story of my 5" MOA rifle. If you send it in, it may take a long time for them to look at it.

You really have me interested in the .25 Creedmoor.

eastbank

my roberts is a kimber montana and it likes hybrid-100 with a 115-117 gr bullet, running right on 3000 fps. three shots from a bench right on a nickle or better, from a cold barrel, three shots to six shots opens up to about a quarte. for a 6.2 lbs scoped rifle fits the bill for a light hunting rifle where i hunt.

std7mag

For deer in both my Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts, and my Savage 111 in 257 Roberts AI I've been sticking mostly with the 115gr bullets.
Nosler Ballistic Tips and Berger VLD.
Both perform differently, but both are effective.

Ligonierbill,

I'd suggest to start playing with the seating depth to get your groups inline.
Most mono's suggest a jump of 0.050" from the lands to start.
Hodgdon Hybrid 100V has been the gold standard in the Roberts loaded to +P for both accuracy & velocity.
Accuracy node from my 22" barrel for the 115gr in the 2,980 range. (+P).
3,168fps with the 100gr bullets.

Ramshot Hunter is extremely close to Alliant RL22.
Works very well in the AI.

Taylorce1,

I'm running both Lapua, and PPU(PVRI PARTIZAN) 22-250 brass necked up for my 250-3000 Savage.
I haven't noticed any major difference between the two performance wise.
24" barrel with low charge of Alliant Varmint with 75gr Sierra HP Varminter hitting in the 3,150fps range.
I also use it for the 90gr Sierra BlitzKings.
Have taken 2 deer the other year with the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over RL17.
Both one shot.

Paul B.

I haven't done a whole lot with my Winchester M70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts although I did play with several boxes of .25 caliber Barnes TSX bullets. Just never found a sweet spot so set it aside for something more promising. The same make/model rifle in 7x57 shoots nice tight groups.
I did try some 100 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunters and a few 120 gr. Speer Hot Cores but the rifle didn't like them at all.
I used to do most of my load work ups this time of year but as I grow older, shooting at 100+ degrees is no longer as much "fun" as it used to be although it was great for finding pressure quickly.
Paul B.