Durable single 4x scope for a 308- recommendations?

RAfiringline

The title says it. Preferably $50-200 area, clear glass, DURABLE, can take lots of kicks from a 308. Eye relief 3.5" plus, 1 inch.

Thanks

bamaranger

Leupold

Suggest you consider a used Leupold, the FX-II is the most current fixed power line. However the older FX--I and even the M8's will work for what most of us do. I'm betting you can get a used Leupold at auction for under $200. Send that used scope back to Leupold for an overhaul....say $60. Tough as nails and will last the rest of your life most likely.

jmr40

There aren't many (if any) options for "quality" fixed 4X scopes in that price range. And I wouldn't limit myself to a fixed 4X scope anyway. I find 4X to be too much magnification most of the time

Leupold's VX-Freedom checks off all of your boxes, good eye relief, and a reputation for durability. You'll get more scope for your dollar going this way than trying to find a fixed 4X scope.

If you stay with a standard duplex reticle they are priced at $199. If you choose some of the optional reticles and other features prices go up considerably.

But they are not fixed power scopes. You'll have to choose between a 1.5-4X20, a 2-7X32, or 3-9X40. They also make some 4-12X40 scopes and bigger. You could just choose to leave it on 4X or take advantage of the versatility of either more, or less magnification.

A 1.5-4X scopes does everything that 95% of hunters need anyway. On 1.5X it is faster to get on target than iron or dot sights up close and on 4X offers enough magnification for at least 400 yard shots on big game.

A lot of people worry about the small objective in low light. The 20mm objective is as big as is needed at 4X. It will allow exactly the same amount of light through as a 3-9X40 scope set on 8X. Bigger objectives only let more light through on higher magnifications.

stinkeypete

Swift still makes a fixed 4x. I had good luck with the one Swift scope I owned. I would try that one without hesitation.

Tasco and Simmons make solid fixed 4x scopes. I use a Simmons 4x on my 10/22 and it's not fancy or expensive or anything but it simply does it's job.

I have a Burris 6x on my 30-06 and I like the Burris a lot and they have been very helpful with other issues I had (like the complexity of putting a scope on a CZ .22 rifle) so I am a huge fan of Burris customer service.

I agree that 6x might be on the long side, but then again my eyes are on the old side.

Terminatorret

I may be the "flier" in this grouping, but look for an old made-in-Japan Bushnell (BL preferred) scope or and old Weaver K-series on Ebay.
I picked up a Bushnell Banner (marked "BL"...Bausch & Lomb...Japan) with a BDC for under $60.
Also, just purschased a Weaver K3-60-B for under $50, yet again, on Ebay. Both are quality scopes IMHO that can easily take .308 recoil.

ThomasT

IIRC Japanese made Tascos are also supposed to be good scopes. And +1 on the older Weaver scopes made in El Paso. I have seen advertised a place that can rebuild old Weaver scopes too.

Second the Weaver K's and Bushnell. I've bought both for $10 recently....a Weaver 6X at a pawnshop and Bushnell 4X by the handful at a Bushnell outlet. Nice clear scopes.

Drm50

I have run 6x on my BA hunting rifles my whole life. The power isn’t needed but 6x was a light sponge. You can almost shoot on a moonlit night. I go 2.5x to 4x on repeaters in the woods rifles. These low power scopes are now specialty scopes for premium money. The specialty? Guys that actually hunt. The range cowboys have big variables on everything. The low fixed powers are out of style.

bamaranger

discontinued??

Sorry to hear that Leupold has discontinued the fixed 6x and 4x scopes, was not aware of same. I abandoned 4x quite a few years ago for 6x, namely the 6x36mm Leupolds. I also run a number of low power variables. But the OP inquired about fixed 4x, so I held off on much more comment.

Regards Simmons, Tasco , Bushnell and vintage Weavers and Redfields for that matter. The made in Japan Tascos and Bushnells weren't terrible, and the Japanese optics industry of the 70's and 80's that put the gold circular inspection sticker on their products, whether scopes, binos or cameras had very high standards according to some light reading I've done on vintage binos. The problem with buying a vintage Japanese Tasco or Bushnell is that there is nothing in place that I am aware of for repair when trouble arises, and with older scopes, sooner or later, you will have a problem if hunted/shot hard enough. Then you are out $50.00+ more for a product that cannot be serviced.

The US Weavers and Redfields can be serviced by a select few private business, the wait period is high, and the cost for same has risen over the years. When you do get your vintage scope back, you will still have a 30-40 yr old optic, that cannot compare to the clarity and resolution of low tier name scopes of today. If I were setting up a vintage rifle for looks and and sentimental reasons, I might invest in vintage Weaver/Redfield glass, but I would not do it for a rifle I intended to hunt and shoot any degree.

Leupold on the other hand, will work on a vintage M8 (or more recent scope) to this day ( I think), and the cost is reasonable and turnaround the same. They no longer offer reticle changes on certain models, but I believe (?) will still service for function, or deal on a comparable scope if beyond repair.

reinert

Here ya go, bid on this one. You just can't beat the older M8 4x Leupolds. I've had one of these for near 40 years, and it's been on every high power I've ever owned at some point in the past. TOTALLY bulletproof scope with Leupold's warranty, and to date, I've never needed to use that service yet on any of my Leupold optics. Really, I think this would be a good scope to try to get for your 4x needs.

www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-M8-4x-Rifle-Scope-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-Lenses/254629063047?_trkparms=aid=1110

About 6 mos. ago, I may have gotten one of the very last FXII (matte) 6x36s that were available (got it online, but not on ebay). I bought it brand new for 300 bucks and feel very fortunate to have gotten it. It will replace my old M8 4x that's been on my elk rifle for the past 1/2 dozen years. I've always liked a fixed powered scope on a hunting rifle. How I hunt, it's all I need. Too bad Leupold dropped the fixed power line.

LeverGunFan

While Leupold has discontinued the FX-II 4x and 6x scopes, they still make the FX-3 6x42, the FX-II 2.5 x20 and the FX-1 4x Rimfire models. The 4x rimfire model would be a good fit on a compact and lightweight centerfire rifle, it meets the same test and durability requirements of any Leupold scope and it's available for $200.

bamaranger

rimfire model

I've got a fixed 4x Leupold rimfire model on my 10-22 and it has seen much shooting, and road around in the trunk of my patrol rig for years w/ nary a problem. The little scopes are indeed compact and tidy and would indeed not look out of place on a Marlin pistol caliber carbine, a Ruger Mini, a Rem 7, etc.

The Rimfire models do have very fine crosshairs at the center of the duplex and might be an issue for old eyes, or shooting in brushy areas. I didn't think twice about the thickness of the crosshairs when I put the 10/22 together twenty years ago, but I notice it now! Additionally, some might object to the parallax setting. I think the rimfire models (and shotgun models) have parallax adjusted to 50 yds. That has not mattered a bit on the 1-4x shotgun scopes I have mounted on carbines, but some folks might object.