Dumb question

CrustyFN

OK, just when you thought you heard every dumb question there is I come along. I hear people talk about shooting 38 specials in a 357 while practicing because it is cheaper. Is that only in a revolver or can you do that in a semiauto also?:confused:

Moloch

1. I dont know any semi auto pistol shooting different kinds of ammunition. (Like .38 and .357mag)

2. If you want to shoot lighter loads you have to put a softer recoil spring in; a standart recoil spring will not cylcle ultra reduced loads.

Minator

Only in a revolver.

The reason you can do this is due to both rounds being the same diameter just one is longer with alot more power.

hsim

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if I had a Desert Eagle in 357, could I then not shot 38's? or a 44mag, then I would use 44 special?

Or was the question directed at pistol calibers only? in which case, I don't know of any common caliber that can be interchanged.

DPris

Member Emeritus
HSIM,
Would only work as a singleshot. The .38 doesn't have enough recoil impulse power to cycle a .357 DE, .44 Special same in a .44 Mag DE.
Denis

TexasCop

the semi-auto 357 coonan offered a special 38 caliber strength recoil spring so you could do exactly that, but the gun is pretty expensive and I don't know what the reliability was.

The Desert Eagle is the other 357 semi-auto and I think because of the gas operation system you HAVE to have the 357 for the slide to function. You might be able to use 38 jacketed +p bullets, but I'm sure you'd void any warranty and if you're going to pay for 38+p jacketed, you might as well buy generic 357, it'll be cheaper.

Now if you are REALLY confused, and thinking about shooting 38's in a .357 semi-auto that is chambered in .357 SIG then NO, you can't do it because the cartridges are totally different even though the number is the same.