Dumb question about an AR kit

P99AS9

I was going to buy an Olympic Arms AR-15 (the GI-16 to be exact) but I decided I may want something else. Someone advised me get a parts kit instead of the whole rifle, because it's much cheaper. I have a gunsmith who always takes good care of me and I'm sure he would assemble the kit for me for cheap. I've been looking around and I really like this:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=199

It's a 16'' AR kit by RRA. I'm confused because it says that it comes with a lower reciever parts kit, but then in the picture it says the lower reciever isn't included. Here is the stupid question: Which one of these lowers would I need to buy the get a complete rifle?
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=286

I'm guessing I have to buy the stripped lower but I am not sure. Can someone clarify this for me?

hoytinak

You guessed right....the kit comes with everything but the stripped lower. That's all you would need to have your complete rifle. ;)

poppy

Yes, you need to buy the stripped lower receiver to add to the kit to make a complete rifle.

One thing that makes it save money is that you don't have to pay firearms (federal excise, I think about 10%) tax on the kit, just on the lower receiver which has the S/N and needs to go through an FFL dealer.

You really don't need a smith, since the only assembly is installing the lower parts kit into the receiver and then joining the upper to the lower with 2 pins.

I am in the process of doing this for the first time myself. I saved at least $300 doing exactly what you are considering.

You may have to order the kit and the receiver on separate orders to avoid the tax, but RRA can advise you on that.

There are instructions on the various AR sites for the required assembly.

Last edited:

globemaster3

P99AS9, you can install a LPK yourself. What you need is guidance. I'm lucky in that at my past base, my armorers took me under their wing and helped me out.

Some things available to you are DVDs and books that walk you through each step. MidwayUSA just had a video in their flyer I got today with Larry Potterfield demonstrating AR-15s. They are not that expensive and will provide a wealth of knowledge.

In addition, there are guys on here who have the knowledge and are willing to give advice should you hit a snag!

Good Luck!

sneaky pete

As Rodney says "It's a Piece of Cake"

old Sneaky here: As in Dangerfield --Go to AR15.com and scroll down to "Build it yourself" (or something like that) and they have "Step by Step" instructions with Pictures included to assemble the stripped lower receiver with a Lower Parts Kit-. I got a stripped lower for Christmas from my step-son W/a lower parts kit and after I received my JARD 1# single stage adjustable trigger from Midway USA for $147.99 it took me under 20 minutes including the trigger adjustment to complete the assembly and the tools needed are Basic hand tools--hammer,screwdriver,plyers, and allen wrench ETC.. And BE CAREFUL not to lose any Detent sprongs!!! Rodney said it rite "It's a Piece of Cake". THANX--SNEAKY :)

chadwick76

listen to frankyoz, don't pay a gunsmith to do it, that will take half the fun out of it. i'm currently on my 1st build and it's also a rra,however i have pieced it all together except for the upper. i have a complete upper on order right now, everything else went together great, and its been a blast tracking parts down. I am not very mechanincally inclined (except w/firearms) so i was a little hesitant. Got on ar15.com and they gave me part by part directions. try it, you will be so addicted.

SigfanTN

DIY is definitely the way to go. I've never worked on guns before, but I built my kit in about 30 minutes using the instructions here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

If you scroll, you will see the vise grip method for pushing in pins. That's how I did it. Rifle works fine, and for a shooter, I saved a pretty good amount of money over a complete rifle.

Willie D

Watch the video in that link a few times and do it your self. It's easy and kinda fun too.

+1 on the vise grip method. I nearly ruined the trigger guard roll pin trying to hammer it in, then tried oiling it and squeezing it in with channel locks which worked like a charm.

CW-NH-HUNTER

Listen to what the others have said and build it yourself, i'm on my first build as well, mine will be a precision/long range coyote gun. Also like the ohers said check out AR15.com. You might want to check out DEL-TON.com, they have a good reputation and they have a kits for around $450 minus the lower reciever, order a lower for $105 and your good to go. Plus I don't think there wait list is as long as RRA.

Housezealot

You'll be happy with the rock river, my buddy has one and I like it better than my S&W M&P or the colt I used to have. Nice rifles