Duck hunting questions

sks

Well what is becomming my annual duck hunt in Tennessee with friends is fast approaching and I had a couple of questions for the waterfowlers among us.

1. Do you wear hearing protection while duck hunting? If so, what kind? The older I get the more hearing becomes an issue. :D

2. Has anyone tried the Winchester Blind Side ammunition? Pros and cons if you've tried it.

3. Is it worth $80.00 to get a PatternMaster choke? I'm having a hard time parting with that much money for a choke. Of course if it makes me the top duck slayer of all time then it would be well worth it. :)

Flapjack23

1. No hearing protection when I duck hunt.

2. I would like to buy some blind side ammo to try, but have no actual experience with it.

3. I have never had the need to buy a specialty choke tube, with the exception of EF for:p turkey. I think the standard factory tubes are adequate for most birds.

oldguy870

No hearing protection.

I was not impressed with Blindside. Poor patterns. I like Hevi-Metal better.

I use a Carlson's extended modified choke tube.

Orphanedcowboy

You need to be able to hear the birds, not just see them

A premium load of #3s at 1450fps

Over decoys IC, 30/35yds Light Mod, mod beyond that

sks

Thanks all, I appreciate the replies.

I have never used any hearing protection when hunting and was just curious. The noise doesn't bother me in the moment of shooting but I'm sure it will do damage that I'll notice later on later on. :)

My last trip I used Winchester Xpert 3.5" 1550 fps, 1 3/8 oz, #2. Just curious about the Blind Side ammo. Can't find much as far as reviews from actual users.

My friends swear by the PatternMaster choke but it is hard to part with that much money right now. My Beretta came with 5 chokes so I should be ok. :) One guy did tell me the PatternMaster shoots differently and he has had to train himself to use it. Of course he hunts duck 5 days a week.

sweetshot

Hey SKS! Good luck on the hunt. Wish I was going too.....

I don't usually wear hearing protection, but should. Late season, a stocking cap, hood, or ear flaps may provide a little protection, but not much.

I usually don't buy any more exotic shells than what I find on sale which, more often than not, is some 3" 2's or 4's (BB in the pocket for the occasional goose) by Federal or Fiocchi or some other brand. The key is patterning them to know where and how the "kill" zone is with the particular shell and the modified factory choke that I use. All of my hunting is done over decoys on small or big water, so the distances are usually inside 35 yards. I should try the different chokes and various loads, but financial resources are limited, so I rely on what all you other guys report on these blogs, and may start to experiment if I win the lottery!

Spats McGee

Administrator
I don't usually wear hearing protection, but one option I've considered is simply using one ear plug on my shooting side. That way, the ear closest to the gun is protected, but I can still hear the ducks (at least, in theory).

Orphanedcowboy

I had my hearing aids programmed to shut off above 85dbs while hunting. They have 3 settings, and on #3 it is very much like wearing a beanie until someone shoots, then it is muffled much like wearing earplugs for a few moments after the shooting stops. I tested a set of hunting hearing aids and they reacted very much the same, except it was not as good at muffling the shot blast. Granted they are $500 and my hearing aids were $4000 and came with a neat remote that allows me to turn them up or down or change the.program quite easily.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
1. No.

2, No,I use the costly but effective Hevi Shot loads. As little as I get to waterfowl these days,cost is incosequential.

3. Probably not. Pattern what you have now and see.

HTH....

krimmie

1). Yes, I have lost too much hearing in my 52 years not to. I wear Howard Leight electronics that actually amplify sounds in the marsh, but block noises above 82dB. I hear birds better, and can tell when my hunting buddies are moving from their position.

http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Impact-Sport-Electronic-Earmuff-1068395.html

2). I have never tried it, nor will I.

3). Pattern your chokes and loads, in my experience Beretta chokes generally pattern well.