Duck Call

warbirdlover

I'm duck hunting again (with my SIL) after not going for a number of years.

Can someone recommend a reasonably priced :rolleyes:, good duck call that won't stick all the time? We see Mallards, Wood Ducks and Bluewing Teals alot. I don't want to be a pro caller, just something that works. I used to know how to blow them and my SIL (the best hunter I've ever known... almost) can teach me.

Thanks!

:D

publius

Truthfully, most any will work. When I was using a factory call I blew a Rich n' Tone, very good calls.

AllenJ

My favorite calls for mallards are a Haydels Red Leg and Primos Timber Winch. Both are reasonably priced and sound good. The reason I use two mallard calls, they'll both stick if they get wet enough!

AllenJ

My one and only try with a Buck Gardner call was not good, so I have not invested anymore in them. Not saying they are not good calls, just saying they were not for me.

GeauxTide

Duck Commander

I've used a bunch of different calls and the Duck Commander line is the finest. I could chew snuff and the calls would never stick. Hunted in the LA Marsh from 20-40 degrees and never had one problem.

ZeroJunk

I've used a bunch of different calls and the Duck Commander line is the finest. I could chew snuff and the calls would never stick. Hunted in the LA Marsh from 20-40 degrees and never had one problem.

Their TV show is entertaing as well.

grubbylabs

I use a buck gardner call and it seems to do just fine for me. I have not had any trouble with it down below zero. If you keep your calls tucked into your coat you won't have as much problems with them freezing. I think the best thing to do is to go into a decent sporting goods store and try a few out. There are lots of different calls on the market for a reason. You might find that the ten dollar call works very well for you while the 50 dollar call makes you sound horrible. Or it might work out the other way, you just never know. But don't just blindly buy a call.

warbirdlover

For $20 + shipping I ordered the Buck Gardner. For that money if it sucks I can just get a Duck Commander. Or I can get that also. My SIL will know if it sounds right.

PawPaw

I have two duck calls on my lanyard, an old Faulk's call, and a PS Olt, D-2 Admittedly, I paid a lot less for the Olt in 1970 than they're going for now, but duck calls don't have to be spendy. As in everything, practice is the most important part of blowing a call.